The claim for the ‘most-commonly recognized dog breed’ in the world goes to ‘POODLES.’
Poodles are the world’s most popular dogs, and Poodle owners are among the proudest of all breed owners across the globe. This most impressive dog in the canine kingdom is ranked as one of the top dog breeds. Be it a Toy, Miniature, Medium, or Standard, Poodles are loved.
Especially the White Toy Poodle, which has been around for a long are yet high in demand. These little white pooches are ruling all across the nations, and why not? They are the loveliest dogs to have.
Here’s more you need to know about the White Toy Poodles.
White Toy Poodles, their Origin, History, and More
White Toy Poodles and Poodles, in general, were first bred in the 17th century. They were later recognized in 1874 by a Kennel Club.
There has been a constant debate on the Poodle’s place of origin between France and Germany. However, according to the American Kennel Club (AKC), Poodles originated in Germany.
Poodles were originally bred as hunting dogs, but soon enough, they became popular as domestic dogs. In fact, small dogs like White Toy Poodles have always been popular lap and couch dogs.
Miniature and Toy Poodle got recognized by Kennel Clubs quite later on in the year 1907. The purpose of breeding these small dogs was for ease of travelling. Miniature and Toy Poodles were even bred for performing in circuses and dog shows.
Initially, Toy Poodles came with several birth defects, but with strict breeding practices, this breed came out healthier and happier thereafter.
Toy Poodles come in various colors, including white, cream, apricot, brown, black, silver, red, bi- or tri-coloured, and more. However, White Toy Poodles are one of the most preferred/ demanded among them all.
Things to Know About White Toy Poodles.
- Poodles, though, originated in Germany, but they are the National Dog of France. Poodles in France are even recognized by another name/ identity, Caniche, French for “duck dog.”
- Poodles originated somewhere in the 17th century, but Toy Poodles were not known until the early 20th century.
- Toy Poodles got their share of fame around 1935 in America. It was when a Poodle won Best in Show at Westminster. White Toy Poodles’ popularity got wings more from the 1960s through the 1980s. It was many popular celebrities, and known faces started owning and bringing their Toy Poodle between cameras and the public.
- The first Kennel Club to recognize Poodles was the Kennel Club of the United Kingdom, which is also known as the British Kennel Club.
- The American Kennel Club, the world’s most reputed Kennel Club, recognized all sizes of Poodle (Toy, Miniature, Medium, and Standard) in 1887.
- Poodles were originally bred as water retrievers, and some waterfowl hunters still use this breed in their fields.
- White Toy Poodles are super intelligent, along with being alert and responsive. They might look like a very small package, but their intelligence is a big blast.
- Regardless of their size, every Poodle holds the same breed standards.
- Regardless of their size, Toy, Miniature, Medium, and Standard, Poodles are extremely active and playful.
- White Toy Poodles do not have fur but hair. Unlike fur, dog hair grows continuously and sheds less. That is why Poodles are recognized as one of the most hypoallergenic dog breeds of all.
- The Poodle cut isn’t meant for fashion, but it has a function of its own. The thick bunch of hair left on their joints and the upper torso is meant to protect their vital organs. In contrast, the short hair on several parts of their body help poodle swims faster and easier.
- No matter how pretty and adorable they look, White Toy Poodles are extremely high maintenance. Firstly, their first coat cab gets dirty very soon, no matter how careful you behave with them outside. Secondly, maintaining their hair but not overdoing it is a task on its own. A trimming and grooming session at a professional salon every alternative month is necessary for them.
- White Toy Poodles, and Poodles in general, have one of the most hairstyles among dogs. For competing in a pet show, a Toy Poodle, in fact, must have either Modified Continental Clip, English Saddle, or Continental Clip haircut/ hairstyle.
- Toy Poodles, or Poodles in general, are one of the most commonly used purebreds for cross-breeding. But why are they popular amongst mixed breeders? Well, because Poodles have a low shedding coat, come in 3 to 4 different sizes, are intelligent and have the exceptional temperament, come in a lot of colors, and are extremely affectionate towards humans and other pets.
- A maximum number of designer toy dog breeds are mixed breeds created using Toy Poodles. Toy Poodles have contributed to many crossbreeds, including Yorkipoo, Pomipoo, Schnoodle, Maltipoo, Peekapoo, Schnoodle, Cockapoo, Shihpoo, and more.
- White Toy Poodles or other colors of this breed are highly prone to dental disease.
- Due to their size and color, White Toy Poodles are a great addition to small homes and apartments. They won’t make it really well in homes with yards and extra-long spaces. As much as they require exercising, their tiny legs would get tired soon.
- White Toy Poodles can get territorial and therefore makes one nice watchdog.
- White Toy Poodles are prone to excessive barking; however, it can be controlled with early training.
- Many famous names in America have had Poodles, and a few of them were proud owners of White Toy Poodles. These popular names include Walt Disney, Jackie Kennedy, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Lucille Ball, Katherine Hepburn, and more. However, a White Toy Poodle isn’t necessarily a breed of rich and famous only. This dog breed is, in fact, available in a price range of $500 to $9,500, $2500 on average. However, even if you buy/ adopt them for less, their maintenance may prove slightly expensive to you.
- Back in the 1950s and 1960s, White Toy Poodles were often dyed Pink. In fact, dying White Poodles is still a popular trend. However, it is a contested ethical question and an arguable thought about whether you should dye your dog.
Is a White Toy Poodle the right dog for you?
White Toy Poodle is an ideal dog for you if you are looking for an adorable, fluffy, and loving puppy. Not only love, but White Toy Poodles are also easy to train, and you can teach them a lot very early in life. They, in fact, are good with small kids as well, which a Toy breed usually isn’t.
White Toy Poodles do their best in small houses and in routines. Since they are very small, a lot of exercise or physical involvement can make them tired very fast. As much as they need to get involved in physical and mental work, they require proper rest as well.
If a White Toy Poodle seems very tiny to you, go for a Miniature Poodle, a slightly bigger version of this hypoallergenic breed.