Let us start with the list of bear-hunting dog breeds to keep bears away.
17 Bear Hunting Dog Breeds List
Karlien Bear Dog
- This is one of the best bear-hunting dog breeds in the world.
- Karlien Bear Dogs are the best in what they do.
- For years, they have been used to hunt bears and protect livestock.
- Additionally, Karlien Bear Dogs are used for various tactics to hunt bears. These tactics including chasing and barking.
- They are medium-sized breeds with bravery, determination, and agility.
- Also, Karlien Bear Dogs also make great house pets.
Caucasian Shepherd Bear Hunting Dog
- The Caucasian Shepherd Dogs are long-haired and massive dogs that can break 200-pound mark.
- They are mainly bred to protect homes and sheep flocks from predators. Also, they are known to hunt bears.
- The Caucasian Shepherd Dogs are very lovable and bond well with their owner, however, they are dangerous when hunting down predators.
Dogo Argentino Bear Hunting Dog
- Dogo Argentinos are the best catch dogs because of their powerful and large bodies.
- This breed was bred in South America to hunt bears, wild hogs, and pumas.
- Dogo Argentino is not affected by harsh hot climate and can walk through hot, rugged, and thick terrain with ease.
- The fierce look makes this breed a good bear hunter.
Coonhound and Plott Hound Bear Hunting Dog
- This breed is a scenthound which belongs to the hound dog family. It is an American dog breed to hunt down bears.
- The Coonhound is usually bred to hunt raccoons. However, it is also used for hunting bears.
- Although it has small size, the Coonhound is used for hunting animals like cougars, coyotes, and bears.
- This breed has a strong prey drive and a great sense of smell that goes well while hunting these animals.
- There are different variants of Coonhound that are used for bear hunting. These include Bluetick Coonhound, Redbone Coonhound, Treeing Walker Coonhound, and American English Coonhound.
American Foxhound Bear Hunting Dog
- This breed is very robust and still has a sleek frame with soft eyes.
- American foxhounds’ bark is very powerful and it can make you fall in love with them for hunting bears.
- Therefore, before you think of getting this breed, make sure you are ready to handle this loud bark.
- However, this bark can be controlled via exercise and training to some extent.
Alaskan Malamute Bear Hunting Dog
- This bear hunting dog breed is powerful and large with fluffy coats that keep it safe from the cold.
- Alaskan Malamute is usually known for pulling sledges in cold regions. Therefore it is a great work dog.
- This large dog breed can weigh up to 90 pounds and has a height of around 26 inches.
- Apart from being powerful, Alaskan Malamute is very energetic and loves to jump around and play with the family.
German Shepherd Bear Hunting Dog
- GSD is a great working dog.
- Whether this breed is in a police institution or hunting bears, German Shepherd never disappoints you.
- The courage, loyalty, and fierceness GSD shows are exceptional.
- The German Shepherd is one of the most trainable and intelligent canines in the world.
- You can easily teach this breed some skills in a short period of time and it will not forget it forever.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Bear Hunting Dog
- This breed is one of the best dog breeds for hunting bears in the wild.
- The reason behind this is that Rhodesian ridgebacks are strong, muscular, and massive.
- Because of their great athletic strength and senses, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are one of the best dogs for hunting down bears.
- Moreover, they also have a great sense of smell and location.
Tibetan Mastiff Bear Hunting Dog
- This dog breed is a powerful and large dog that is from the Tibetan Plateau in the Asian continent.
- In fact, Tibetan Mastiffs have been used for ages by people for guarding livestock and hunt bears and other predators.
- In recent times, this breed is also known for its great companionship with human beings.
- Tibetan Mastiff is best known for its strength, loyalty, guarding instinct, and courage. On the other hand, it is also affectionate and playful. Therefore, these traits help it become one of the best guards as well as house dogs.
German Shorthaired Pointer Bear Hunting Dog
- This is a very versatile hunting dog.
- German Shorthaired Pointers are generally trained to hunt birds.
- However, you can also use them to hunt and bark at bears as well.
Chinese Bear Hunting Dogs
- As the name suggests, Chinese Bear Hunting Dogs are specifically bred for hunting down bears.
- Moreover, they are great watchdogs and guard dogs as well.
- If you are thinking of bringing them home to protect you then this is a good decision you are making for the safety of you and your family.
- The reason behind this is that Chinese Bear Hunting Dogs are great watchdogs and have a protective instinct in them towards their people.
- Moreover, this breed needs a lot of exercise and attention as they can get destructive when the energy is not utilised somewhere else.
Rottweiler Bear Hunting Dog
- Although the aggression of this breed is not good for humans, it is a big advantage while hunting down bears.
- Rottweilers have one of the strongest bite forces. This is why a bear can’t handle it by any means.
- This breed is one of the best canines that can easily fight bears and other animals.
- Also, do not expect this breed to back from the fight no matter who is the opponent.
German Wirehaired Pointer Bear Hunting Dog
- This breed was initially bred in the late 19th century and 20th century to be one of the best bear-hunting dog breeds.
- This is a terrain-hunting breed specifically known for its searching capabilities and stamina.
- This breed has water-repellent hair. This allows them to stay comfortable on both water and land.
Boerboel Bear Hunting Dog
- Boerboel is one of the best dog breeds for hunting bears in the wild.
- Moreover, these canines were primarily bred to protect livestock and farms from wild animals.
- Boerboel is a descendant of Mastiff daily of canines.
- Therefore, this is very evident why they are big-boned, large, and muscular.
- If you train a Boerboel well to attack bears and hunt them down.
American Pitbull Terrier Bear Hunting Dog
- American Pitbull terrier is one of the most potential bear-hunting dog breeds on this list.
- If you train an American Pitbull terrier well, this dog breed can be the most amazing dog you ever get.
- They are best suited for homes as well as hunting.
- An American Pitbull terrier can easily find and attack any animal larger than itself.
Irish Setter Bear Hunting Dog
- Irish Setter originated in Ireland
- Initially, this breed was bred to hunt various animals.
- The dominant trait it has makes it a potential bear hunter.
- Irish Setters have very fascinating looks. In fact, some of them look like Golden Retrievers.
- Previously, this breed’s legs were shorter so it could crouch beside prey to mark the prey for hunters.
- Moreover, Irish Setter also has been bred for its beauty rather than for hard work.
Siberian Laika Bear Hunting Dog
- Siberian Laika was born and raised in Siberia.
- This means that Siberian Laika can find a number of bears there.
- This breed also resembles the Siberian Husky in many ways and has a few traits that Siberian Husky has.
- Traits like a strong prey drive, a great working nose, and good hunting instincts are similar to Siberian Husky.
Some FAQ About Bear Hunting Dogs
What are bears afraid of?
nj.gov says that bears are usually afraid of loud noises. You can make loud noises with pans and pots, air horns, or yelling. Additionally, you can make yourself look big by holding your arms in the air or waving your arms. In case you are with someone, stand close to each other and raise your arms above your head.
Will a dog scare away a black bear?
Yes, a dog can scare away a black bear easily. In fact, even a small-sized dog can scare-off a black bear. However, with time, black bears have also learned to ignore dogs that are tied up.
Will a dog scare a grizzly bear?
No, a dog cannot scare a grizzly bear. Grizzly bears are one of those animals that cannot be cowed, bullied, or swayed by a dog with aggression. These types of canines can scare-off any other animals, but not a grizzly bear.
Why are bears afraid of dogs?
The reason behind this is that most bears associate canines with humans. However, a canine without a leash may harass or chase the bear. This may cause the bear to chase back the dog in anger. When canines get scared, they may run towards their parents.
What smell do bears hate?
Bears hate the smell of Pine, says the cpw.state.co.us; they also hate pine-based cleaners. To keep bears out of your league, you can spray pine-based cleaners around your house. However, do not use anything with fruity, lemony, or fresh smell. Also, do not mix ammonia and bleach. This mixture can create fumes that can be fatal for bears and humans.
How far away can a dog smell a bear?
This depends on many things like the type of scent and wind. Under ideal conditions, dogs can smell people, animals, or objects from 20km away
If you live in a region that has a bear population, then you may need bear hunting dog breeds to keep bears away. Apart from hunting bears, these dogs are used for various purposes as well. For instance, you can find bear-hunting dog breeds forming a good bond with humans and kids.
I hope you enjoyed the article. I will be back soon with more interesting and informative pieces of writing. Till then, stay connected. Thank you.