Sleep is vital to cats. If you are a cat owner, you probably know how much cats sleep. According to data, they sleep as much as 12 to 16 hours a day.
That’s a lot of cat nap! Cats need their sleep to replenish their energies since they are predatory animals.
Even though chasing a ball or squeaky toy may seem like play, all that pouncing and jumping take its toll on their energies. Thus, your cats need their sleep so they can play and hunt for another day.
A cat bed is crucial to a cat’s life. Cats are comfortable sleeping anywhere, but it would be a huge plus if you gave them their domain.
Covered cat beds for large cats fulfill their need for a sheltered place to sleep. It mimics the caves in the wild and is an ultra-snug place to rest.
Covered cat beds for large cats Features to Consider
A washable machine fabric makes your life so much easier. Just toss the cat bed in the washer and out it goes squeaky clean.
In the course of the day, you will never know what your cat will get into. They may not be clean when they get in bed.
All that dirt and grime will be stuck on their bodies and into the bed. Sometimes there may even be some blood on the fabric if they have made a kill during the day.
It wouldn’t be appealing to hand wash all that scum. Washing machines do fray down fabrics, though, so you may have to temper your machine washing with a little TLC and have a spot cleaning in-between wash.
Your benign visitors and friends who come over to the house may frighten off your cat. Cats are sensitive creatures, and anyone new may seem like a threat to them and an intruder to their privacy.
Buying your cat a new bed can be an opportunity for them to get some private space no matter who is in the house.
They will want covered cat beds for large cats or better yet get them a full-blown condo-style bed where they can sleep on a perch, out of reach.
If you live in cold, wintry areas, your cat will love you if you give them a heated bed. If your cat lives outside and is housed in your yard, a heated bed during the cold night will be doubly invaluable.
Cats need heated beds even if they just sleep in the garage occasionally and spend most of the time indoors.
You have to follow the manual of the heated cat bed, though, to make sure there won’t be any fire accidents and overheating.
Cats need to be toasty warm, and thankfully technology has found a safe way to keep cat beds warm.
These cat self-warming cat beds are inspired by the technology used by NASA in their US space programs.
They use your cat’s own heat to be radiated within the bed. As a result, the bed becomes warm and comfortable.
However, this Mylar construction will only generate heat if your cat has a warm body. If they are freezing out in the cold on your yard, the self-warming device will not work.
Some covered cat beds for large cats beds sold on the market have something extra in that they have attached toys.
These toys are great because they keep your cat active and stimulated. There may be times when your cat will be sleeping too much in a day.
She will get roused from her sleep and engage in a little play when she sees some dangling toys from her cat bed. It can be a nice break from a catnap to get some exercise.
These toys will usually be attached near the entrance on top of the cat bed. If your cat bed doesn’t come with toys, you can always buy them separately and simply attach them.
Cats are active creatures, and they scratch a lot. They may wear out their beds in no time. Your covered cat beds for large cats may get scratched on whether you like it or not.
The durability of materials is crucial in this case. Your cat bed should be able to endure cat abuse and not be torn to shreds.
Wool felt, and anything carpet-like will serve as excellent materials for your cat bed.
Top 3 Covered cat beds for large cats
Kitty City Large Cat Cube Bed
This bed is spacious enough, and your cat will have plenty of space to call her own. These covered cat beds for large cats allow your cat to have her own secret space if she’s not feeling social.
There’s a padded bed on top of her little cove, as well. This company has a 2-story cat bed option if you have multiple cats. For the single-story version, there are “hide-and-seek” cut-outs. These holes allow the cat to see out of her bed and one hole even has a dangling toy for her to play with.
This cat bed is foldable if your cat doesn’t use that much or if you are going away to travel. It is portable for easy storage and transport.
Best Pet Supplies, Inc. Tent Bed for Pets
The Best Pet Supplies, Inc. Tent Bed for Pets is a good choice for any cat who needs to slink away from the social company. The pillow in this bed is removable and machine washable.
The entire bed can be washed in a machine, and it won’t lose its shape or durability. You can also push on the top to fold down an extra thick cushion, your cat can comfortably sleep on, and once he wakes up. The roof can reform its shape like a tent.
There are three different colors and three different styles, namely cave, cove, and tent. There are four different sizes, as well. This bed for your cat is one that you can make sure fits your cat and home perfectly. The material used is a high-quality polyfoam, which is used in each design. It molds to your cat’s body, making it a soft but supportive bed.
- PLUSH PET TENT: We’ve designed these tent houses for dogs and cats using faux suede, linen or corduroy and each comes with soft poly-foam lining.
- GREAT INDOOR LOOK: The timeless style of our tan plush pet beds allows them to seamlessly blend into any décor.
- COZY HOUSE: The dimension of this indoor tent gives your pet a touch of privacy and creates a nice sense of security. 19 x 19 x 19 inches.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: The tent is machine washable without stretching out of shape and acts like a soft crate making traveling simple.
- DESIGNED TO LAST: We carefully make our soft tents for dogs and cats to give them maximum durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cat bed?
Cats sleep anywhere. If you ask them a cat bed can be anything their fancy takes them. Even your bed! It is crucial to get a cat bed specially made for cats in pets stores so she won’t be sleeping anywhere she wants.
Your sofa and other furniture may become her next victim, and you wouldn’t want all the fur and dirt sticking there.
Ideally, a cat bed should have extra padding and some privacy. Most cats will adore covered cat beds for large cats. There are many types of cat beds, but there are at least three categories: heated, flat, and covered. Each type of bed will support your cat’s comfort in its own way.
Do cats need a cat bed?
Cats really don’t need a bed. If your cat doesn’t have a bed, you will find that they sleep comfortably almost anywhere. As a human owner, though, you may need to have a designated place for them.
You may enjoy having your cat sleep with you on your own bed, but remember that your cat doesn’t wipe their bottom once they get out of the litter box. Yes, they may spread fecal matter all over your bed. They may look clean, but there is a lot of germs and dirt in that fur.
You should also take note that cats are rather territorial. It will please them to have their own domain in the form of a cat bed in the house. They want a place that is especially theirs. Your cat will be all the more pleasant to live with if they have a cat bed. They will feel more independent and enjoy their privacy.
If they can have some time off with you, all the snuggles and cuddles you will share when you finally get back together will be all the more special.
How do I get my cat to use her cat bed?
Cats may avoid their bed at first. However, what you can do is to make the bed as appealing as possible.
A self-warming bed or a bed that gives cover will make for an attractive bed that will convince your cat to use it. If your cat is in a confined space with the bed, be sure to close the door to ensure your cat will use the bed.
The location of the cat bed is important to get your cats to use it. They may have their own preferences when it comes to a comfortable sleeping space.
Experiment on putting the cat bed in different locations such as up high on a countertop, under the table, in a separate room, or in your bedroom near where you sleep.
There are instances that you will find that you have tried all methods, but your cat is still not using their cat bed.
You can try putting your worn t-shirt on the bed to attract them to the scent. This is a good strategy because not only will the shirt have your smell; it will also have your body heat, something your cat may like cuddling up next to.
Are heated cat beds safe?
Heated beds are safe to use. Ideally, a heated bed must turn on and stay on. You have to keep an eye on the bed while it is turned on and never leave your cat unsupervised.
Heated beds will keep a cat bed warm 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the temperature in a room. It will keep your cat toasty and warm, but the heat will not be so hot as to jack up your electric bill.
Heated beds still use electricity, though, and you may frown upon the use of energy. There are alternatives such as the space-age heat-reflecting technology of Mylar space blankets.
It allows the cat’s body to reflect heat, which is then concentrated on the cat bed keeping your cat very toasty warm.
Best Selling Cat Beds for Large Cats
- LARGE CAT IGLOO - The enclosed cat tent is designed to cradle your pet to achieve maximum privacy and soothing security for cats, kittens, or small dogs. The light blue colored cat teepee is sure to easily blend into most home décor.
- CUDDLE COMFORT – This stylish and charming pyramid cat bed delivers a pleasant and snug place for your pet to relax indoors. The igloo’s plush fabric is designed to stay warmer, providing superior coziness for your feline friend.
- SLEEP OR PLAY - This cat house offers a comforting enclosed space pleasing cats who instinctively love wedging into small places to rest. The enclosed kitten bed also appeals to frisky kitties that enjoy rolling playfully in small boxes or cubbyholes.
- REMOVABLE PET MAT – Outfitted with a removable foam cushion cat bed, this cat cave delivers enhanced orthopedic luxury and warmth, perfect for aging pets needing joint support as they unwind into a deep sleep.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – Materials: Polyester and Polyurethane Foam. Dimensions: (L) 13” x (W) 13” x (H) 15.75”. PETMAKER Covered Cat Beds for Indoor Cats should be hand washed in cold water. Color: Light Blue.
- CUDDLE COMFORT – This stylish and charming kitty cavern delivers a pleasant and snug place for kitties to relax indoors. The plush foam walls are designed to stay warmer, providing superior coziness for your feline while they unwind into a deep sleep! The enclosed hood shape enhances privacy and security, pleasing cats that instinctively love wedging into small spaces while resting.
- SLEEP OR PLAY-- This kitty cave provides a comforting covered space to keep fur babies happy while they slumber or play! The velvety material of this cat house provides excellent insulation and is soft to the touch, making this an ideal bed for lounging cats. In addition, this enclosed kitty bed appeals to frisky kitties that enjoy rolling playfully in small boxes or cubbyholes!
- REMOVABLE CUSHION - The outer entrance is lined with a fur-like shape, naturally attracting cats and kittens. The exceptionally thick removable cushion liner provides pillow soft coziness for both small kittens and adult cats to curl up in. This layer of fluffy padding delivers enhanced orthopedic luxury and warmth, perfect for aging cats needing joint support to comfortably rest.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – This covered kitty house is recommended for cats, kittens, and pets 16 lbs or less. Dimensions: 13 inches (Length) x 12 inches (Width), 12 inches (Height). Color: Tan and White Animal Print. Material: 60% Polyester, 40% Polyurethane Foam. To wash: Hand washable in cold water.
- Durable Fabric: Linen is highly favored for its durability, coolness, moisture absorbency, and appearance.
- Convertible/Collapsible: Our tent bed conveniently converts into a flat bed, making it not only versatile, but a wise investment. Give your pet two beds in one.
- Reinforced Bottom and Seams: The base of our tent bed was specially designed with expert seam stitching and a reinforced bottom.
- Three Sizes: Whether you have a small pet, a growing pet or a fully grown pet, our tent design is sure to accommodate your needs.
- Zip out Pillow: A zippered pouch encases this cushion which serves as the bed ‘mattress’. Both the pouch and the cushion can be conveniently cleaned separately.
- Allergy Resistant Fabric: Allergy protectant fabric for perfect aeration and temperature moderation so as to ensure your pets are safe and protected.
- Two-way Conversion: Provides greater comfort and flexibility to suit your pet's needs.
- Perfect Shape: The Cave has a well-shaped opening bordered with PV Fleece so that your pet is pampered while he put his head out and will not suffer from fabric rashes.
- Easy Maintenance and Cleanliness: The cushion cover can be removed, is machine washable.
- Reinforced Non Slip Bottom: Our proprietary fabric bottom eliminates floor scratches, provides stability and durability.
- 🐶🐱 PLENTY OF ROOM INSIDE – Perfectly stitched bed roomy & comfy for pets to turn around and lie straight inside, your furry babies love this cosy igloo bed!
- 🐱🐶 COMFORTABLE PRIVACY SPACE – Provides a private enclosed mansion for your furry babies, they can hide in their own secluded safety room when they want some peace.
- 🐶🐱 NON-SLIP BOTTOM SOFA – Fold the roof down to have a sofa, soft raised sides provide additional support for pets and let them stretch out fully, relieve tension and pressure effectively.
- 🐱🐶 MACHINE WASHABLE & STURDY – Designed to be washable on the gentle cycle with cold water and tumble dry in low heat, holds its shape and substantial.
- 🐶🐱 REMOVABLE CUSHION – Comes with a soft thick cushion, has a plush side and a fabric side.
- Our cat bed has large capacity, suitable for small, medium and large cats. Size Info. : 14" x 22" x 10". This is not only a cat bed that allows cats to sleep comfortably, but also a toy for cats to simulate drilling holes.
- Special Design: This cat bed is specially designed for pet habits and simulates the appearance of a cave, allowing pets to quickly accept this cat bed. The cat hole bed can surround the pet to improve the sense of security and provide a safe and comfortable sleeping space for the cat or puppy.Self-warming insulation radiates heat back to the pet.
- Soft Fabric : The outside of this cat bed is brown artificial short suede, and the inside is beige artificial plush. The material is light and soft, giving the cat a feeling of lying on the clouds, providing the best for furry friends comfort and warmth.
- Fun Bed to Use : "Cave" bed design can be a warm little hiding place for your cat. Flatten it, the cat can stretch on it and keep it cool. In addition, the fabric of this cat bed is soft and easy to fold, which is convenient for storage and use.
- Safe and Durable: The "hole" of this cat bed is filled with a circle of full cotton, which makes the hole more three-dimensional, more convenient for the cat to drill in and out, and the activities are more flexible and breathable.And our cat bed can be easily cleaned and cared for, just wash the whole cat bed gently with cold water.
- Self-warming material radiates heat back to your pet;Anti slip and damp proof
- Etra thick stuffed fill for maximum comfort
- Superfine fiber material, filled in quality PP cotton
- Both pet bed and pet mat are machine washable with laundry bag; no machine drying, please
- Size : 42cmx42cmx37cm(16.5 '' x 16.5'' x 14.6'' ),Size for pets within 18 pounds
- 🐈【Soft and Comfortable】Cat sleeping bag with linen fabric and thick polyester sprayed cotton filling, breathable and comfortable, soft and skin-friendly, completely free of harsh chemicals and synthetics, ideal for cats to play, nap, rest, relax, sleep, cuddle, burrow or snuggle inside this warming bed.
- 🐈【Suitable Size】The size of the cat cave is 19"Wx30"L. The pet bed is suitable for most cats and puppy under 8 pounds, such as the american Shorthair, the civet, the ragdoll, miniature schnauzers or chihuahuas.
- 🐈【Easy Care】Cat bed cave using linen fabric, non-stick hair, resistant to dirt, easy to wipe or water wash. Our cat cuddle cave is machine washable, quickly cleans up dirt and drool.
- 🐈【Durable】Strong fabric that’s built to last and hold it’s shape even after many washes without clumping or shifting. Bottom anti-slip wear-resistant, stable and not easy to move.
- 🐈【Service Guarantee】We assure you to provide friendly service to every customer of the cat nest. If there is any quality problem, please feel free to contact us, we will give you a satisfactory solution in time.
- SAFETY PROTECTION & WARMTH: Give your pet the ultimate retreat helping them feel safe protected and warm in our covered cat cave. 360 degrees of coverage provides security and better rest for animals that like to burrow and hideaway.
- LUXURIOUS AND FUNCTIONAL: Luxury meets functionality in a plush soft vegan fur cover paired with a tough woven oxford base. The dirt and water-resistant bottom makes for a cleaner option for your pets and your home.
- COMFORTABLE SUPPORT FOR SMALL PETS: Our pet igloo is designed especially for your cat kitten or small dog. The foam construction is durable flexible lightweight. The padded insert provides a soft and comfortable space for relaxation.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Not only do we have your pet covered – we've got you in mind too! The entire pet tent and removable insert are machine washable and safe for your dryer. Wash on gentle cool cycle and tumble dry low.
- SEAMLESS ADDITION TO YOUR SPACE: Our pet house features designer colors and a cute cat ears top that blend into any space while adding a pop of personality. Choose the Jumbo size for pets up to 25lbs. Choose the Standard size for pets up to 15lbs.
- SPACIOUS & COMFY: Our large felt cat cave serves as a cozy cat pod made from felted wool. The cat cave large felt surface will keep the largest of cats covered at all times.
- AVAILABLE IN 2 SIZES: Medium size for cats up to 18 lbs, large size for 18-25 lbs cats and large breeds like Maine Coons.
- HANDMADE & ALL NATURAL: The cat cave wool is handcrafted by crafters in Nepal from 100% all-natural wool, which is safe for your cat. Our felt cat bed is the most ethical felt bed you will find.
- KEEPS ITS SHAPE: Our cat hideouts for indoor cats are felted from a dense yet soft layer of wool which makes this wool cat bed ultra durable and allows the cat dome to keep its shape.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Our cat cocoon naturally repels odor and dirt. Light cleaning can be done on the large cat cave using a vacuum, or wash with water and let the felt bed air dry.
Cats have an intense need to sleep and to have their domain. Fulfill both these needs by giving them their very own covered cat beds for large cats.
These roomy and private beds can help your beloved cat sleep in comfort and stay energized. They will have better sleep and sweet dreams in any of these fantastic high-quality cat beds.