If a Labrador is on your new pet list, nothing about them disappoints you, except (assume). Labradors are beautiful masculine dogs that every dog lover across the world dream about. There’s nothing bad about them except the fact that ‘Labradors Shed a Lot.’
Yes, Labradors are heavy shedders, all thanks to their double-layered coats. Extremely heavy Shedding comes naturally to them, especially during Springs and Falls due to the weather changes.
So it is when clumps of their dense undercoat fall out in a line that you will observe hairs all across the house. They do shed in months between Springs and Falls, but the Shedding is comparatively lower then. But can you reduce shedding in Labradors? Well, Yes, you absolutely can.
Here is all about how you can deal if your Labrador sheds too much.
Labrador Shedding – 7 Tips To Fight It Year Around
Labradors shed a lot, and you cannot stop this process. However, multiple ways help control hair fall amongst dogs. With these helpful tips, you can learn how to reduce dog shedding to a point and make your house mess free.
- Upgrade your Labrador’s Diet
Anything topical isn’t useful until the problems are resolved internally. If your dog is shedding more than usual, in an alert amount, then there’s a problem with their diet. A healthy diet that is full of vitamins, minerals, protein, fats, carbs, and macro and micronutrients is what your dog needs. It is the unbalanced nutritional effort that is (might) making them shed more.
Here are a few dietary add-ons that can conclude your dog’s daily food.
- Chia Seeds (Rich source of B vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, protein, and zinc)
- Organic Coconut (It contains medium-chain saturated fats)
- Almonds (Rich source of Omega 3 fatty acid, B vitamins, copper, manganese, magnesium, zinc, and bioflavonoids)
- Eggs (Rich source of Biotin, Lutein, B vitamin/ Vitamin H/ Vitamin B7, Omega 3s, and Omega 6s). Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrition and the most bioavailable protein your dog can have.
- Oats (Rich source of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, and iron). Oats are even used in a range of pet cosmetics, especially shampoo.
- Wild salmon (One of the best sources of Omega-3s, protein, amino acid, bioactive peptides, which is a bioactive protein molecule, and calcitonin).
- Carob (Rich source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, magnesium, silica, vitamins A, B1, B2, niacin, and many other nutrients).
- Cranberries (Its bioactive components, including antioxidant proanthocyanidins, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid, aid in better hair).
- Sweet potatoes (Rich source of vitamin A, vitamin E, Vitamin C, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, folate, potassium, copper, and thiamine)
- Liver of grass-fed animals (Rich source of vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, and Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, Omega-3, Omega 6, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, and biotin).
Food items that target your dog’s nutritional needs and are also good for hair and skin health are essential in their daily diet.
- Incorporate Supplements into your Labrador’s Diet
If a healthy diet isn’t doing the job well, you might need to incorporate supplements along. Feed food items that are rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, or pick a good quality fish oil for your dog. Or you can even pick commercial supplements since there are many worthy available in the market. For instance,
- Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs
- VetIQ Skin & Coat Supplement for Dogs, Healthy Skin & Coat
- Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs
- Dinovite Probiotic Supplement for Dogs
- PetHonesty Omega SkinHealth Chews for Dogs
- Rich Omega-3 Support – Zesty Paws Omega Bites are delicious chewable supplement treats with Omega fatty acids (with EPA and DHA), vitamins, and nutrients to help dogs look and feel their best.
- Features AlaskOmega – Derived from Wild Alaskan Pollock, this premium ingredient provides a clean and pure source of omegas (with EPA and DHA) to boost your pup's wellness.
- Healthy Skin = Happy Dog! – This formula contains Fish Oil, Biotin, Vitamin C and E. These vitamins, omegas, and antioxidants may help with dry, sensitive skin.
- Soft & Shiny Coat – These daily soft chews help pets with dull, dry, brittle, and shed prone coats by providing vital natural nourishment that promotes more shine, strength, and softness for your canine.
- Joint, Heart & Immune Support – These grain free bite supplements also support hip and joint health, immune system function, and cardiovascular activity to help your pet feel zesty from head to paw.
- Contains Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids
- Helps Manage Normal Shedding
- Supports Soft Skin Shiny Coat and a Healthy Heart
- Veterinarian Recommended
- Proudly Made in the USA
- Reduce Shedding + Improve Skin and Coat - Plano Paws Wild Caught Omega 3 for Dogs is made with pure Anchovies, Herring, Mackerel, and Sardines from the clear ocean waters off the coast of Iceland.
- Low Odor, Safe + Effective - Our pet liquid fish oil is human grade and molecularly distilled to remove all harmful toxins and heavy metals to support joint health, skin, coat, heart, + immune system.
- For All Breeds and Ages - Our fish oil for dogs liquid pump makes it easy to give your dog omega 3 oils they need to stay healthy and happy. Just squirt the fish oil onto your puppy or dogs food.
- Sustainably Sourced - Our omega 3 fish oil dog supplement is all-natural and loaded with healthy DHA and EPA omega 3 for dogs. Dog fish oil supplements may provide allergy and itch relief for dogs.
- Our Mission - Plano Paws makes dog treats, dog health supplies and dog supplements you can trust. Plano Paws lives by 3 core principles. 1. Safe Ingredients. 2. Outstanding Effectiveness. 3. Exceptional Service.
- SUPPORTS DIGESTION & GUT HEALTH – Maintain a healthy gut with essential prebiotics and probiotics for dogs.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT – Our unique formula is rich in omega fatty acids to support heathy skin and coat.
- PROMOTES A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM – Strengthen your dog’s immune system by adding this daily supplement to their regular food.
- TACKLES HOT SPOTS – Tackle itching, hot spots, licking, and seasonal allergies with our easy-to-use daily dog supplement.
- 90-DAY GUARANTEE – Get results or your money back. Start seeing results in just a few short weeks.
- Vet-Recommended for Healthy Skin, Coat, and Allergy-Related Skin Issues: PetHonesty's Omega SkinHealth chews are vet-recommended to promote skin and coat health, support a healthy immune response and help soothe skin-related issues associated with seasonal allergies and dry climates.
- Supports A Healthy Immune System + Joints: These tasty chews are a natural source of Omega-3s from a variety of diverse sources to ensure optimal absorption and efficacy for your dog. Omegas will help support a healthy immune and inflammatory response in your dog's body as well as keep joints and heart healthy.
- Made with Natural Ingredients Like Krill, Salmon Oil, Chia Seeds, Biotin + Spirulina: Powerful all-natural ingredients like Kelp, Vitamin E, Salmon Oil, Algae and more are filled with antioxidants, vitamins and healthy Omega-3's and Omega-6's that contribute to healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Gentle, Natural + Made In The U.S.A. - At PetHonesty we're committed to premium quality ingredients and strict safety standards. Our dog chews are made in the USA with only the highest-quality US and globally sourced ingredients derived from natural sources and contain NO harsh preservatives, corn, soy, GMOs or chemical ingredients.
- Delicious Natural Salmon Soft Chew Taste - These skin and coat soft chews act more like treats for your dog with their delicious natural salmon flavor taste and soft chew texture. No more hiding pills, powders or tablets in peanut butter or kibble - dogs beg for these chews they taste that good!
- Ensure Proper Hydration for your Labrador
Few people realize that water has endless beneficial properties for one’s body. And like humans, dogs, too, need an adequate amount of water intake daily.
Water facilitates metabolic processes, and it directly or indirectly keeps a dog’s coat and fur healthy. On the days when your Labrador is more active, he might also need more water. Less or no water intake can lead to skin dehydration which will ultimately cause more Shedding.
Though if your dog isn’t interested in drinking more water a day, you can enhance its flavors. For instance, feed them chicken or vegetable broth, iced water, or even coconut water in a small amount.
- Bath your Labrador Regularly with a De-Shedding Shampoo
Regular baths and a good quality de-shedding shampoo are what your dog needs if he is shedding too much. NOTE: Regular bath here means once a month or twice if it is extremely important and unavoidable. Do not bathe your dog more than this.
A De-Shedding Shampoo will help the dog shed less (of course) and protect his fur health. The best is undoubtedly the Oat Meal Dog Shampoo, which you can incorporate into your dog’s regular bathing routine. Besides keeping your dog’s fur healthy, it also helps in soothing and moisturizing the dog’s skin. And good skin will ultimately corporate in keeping Shedding at bay.
- Invest in a Labrador Shedding Brush
Effective grooming is key to a healthy coat and fur. Unfortunately, many dogs shed continuously, almost year-round. But if you are brushing them regularly, you can keep your sofa, couch, and clothes free of hair, at least. And for doing so, you can use any dog brush available at home.
Or, if you want to advance up a little, then consider investing in a de-shedding brush or a FURminator.
A FURminator is an advanced brushing tool designed to remove loose or dead hair from topcoat and undercoat. While normal brushes do not reach the undercoat’s small hairs, FURminator targets that as well and completes the job more carefully. Such tools can be used twice a week, and they come in handy while your Labrador is ‘blowing his coat.’
- Reduce stress for your Labrador
Humans suffer from great hair loss when they are under stress, and so do dogs. This may also be termed ‘Stress-induced Shedding’ amongst dogs. And hence to avoid and overcome this, the only way is to reduce your Labrador’s stress. The more you will involve him in relaxing and calming activities, the faster his stress levels will settle down.
- Stay Up-to-Date with Flea Treatment
A Flea infection can lead to skin irritation, hair loss, red puss infection, and a lot of problems in dogs. If your dog is shedding excessively, chances are he/ she may be suffering from any kind of flea infection. You may observe him scratching or licking any specific area more prominently. If yes, then it is better to keep the dog up-to-date with a flea treatment.
Schedules like Flea Treatments and Deworming must be followed every three months regularly.
NOTE: If your Labrador’s stress is due to some mental, emotional, or physical condition, fight that first.
Do Labs Ever Stop Shedding?
Labradors never stop shedding, and they shed year-round, less or more. Excessive Shedding in Labradors occurs twice annually, during the Spring and Fall season. Due to climatic changes, it is when Labs change their coat, also known as Blowing.
The process takes 2 to 3 weeks and sometimes even longer. Blowing is an important process as it helps Labrador changes his coat and adjust to the new season.
Though even after that, the Lab will not stop shedding. Therefore, if you own a Labrador or are ready to own one, be prepared to face Shedding, an unending one, probably.
How Can I Get My Lab To Stop Shedding?
You can’t get your Labrador to stop shedding, but you can reduce or control the same. Be regular with their bathing and grooming schedule. Doing so will help in keeping their coat and skin clean and healthy.
Also, keep an eye on your dog’s diet and ensure he receives enough nutrients. Keep a special check on their Protein, Biotin, and Omega 3 and 6 intakes. All of these nutrients play a key role in hair and skin health.
Does Brushing A Lab Help With Shedding?
Yes, Brushing will undoubtedly help if your Labrador is shedding a lot. But, brush your dog more, especially during the heavy shedding season (Spring and Fall).
It won’t stop shedding but will remove all the dead hair that might tangle and make knots otherwise. Brushing regularly also helps to remove dead hair and stimulates healthy skin.
What Type Of Brush Is Best For A Labrador?
When Brushing your Labrador’s coat, do not pick just any brush. Instead, go for brushes that are specially designed for the purpose. Based on your dog’s breed, brush’s bristle, size, and material, there are many options available in the market.
For Labradors, a brush that can easily manage through their double-layer coat is necessary. The brush must reach their inner coat but still should be soft enough to not irritate their skin.
Here are some top recommendations for the same:
- DakPets Pet Grooming Brush
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs, Cats
- Freshly Bailey Dog and Cat Dematting and Deshedding Tool
- Ruff’ N Ruffus Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush With PAIN-FREE Bristles
- FURminator Grooming Rake, Removes Loose Hair and Tangles
- Dog Brush Hair Brush: Our deshedder is developed by pet grooming experts who specialize in animal care. Our Pet Grooming Brush may reduce young & old dogs & cats from shedding by up to 95%. No need to worry about unsightly hair or fur all over your house, beds or car. Consider the savings you'll make on pet grooming tools and visits with your veterinarian or pet groomer. This dog cat grooming comb is so well-priced you can keep one in the house and car
- 100% Risk Free: We only sell New shedding brushes for dogs and cats - choose from blue, yellow and pink grooming brushes. We offer a no questions asked 60 Day Replacement Tool or Refund if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase. Our promise to you - It’s as simple as that for our Dog Comb
- High Quality Pet Hair Remover: Made from materials that feature a non-irritation 100mm-4 inch heavy duty replaceable stainless steel pet comb, safe blade cover that protects the blades life span. Durable rubber handle for non-slip grip; strong stem-handle that will not break. It’s a perfect grooming comb for cats and dogs - A versatile stand alone pet tool for grooming. It’s a quick clean way to remove loose dog & cat hair undercoat while gaining shinier top coat brush
- Pet Shedding Brush: Best for de shedding small to big animals. Our product protects your cat and dog from coat irritation. Also, a sure fire way to help prevent damaging the topcoat whilst promoting a soft, smooth, healthier skin & coat for your pet. Suitable for pets with single and double coats; brushing will leave your pet with healthy skin and a shiny coat. Reduce coat issues with regular brushing of your furry companion that will reduce chance of reactions in your home
- Share A Pets Love: Buy a spare one; one for a loved one and one for a friend. Recommended by both Veterinarians and Professional Pet Groomers. Be amazed at the results of our Cat Brush and Dog Brush for All Shapes & Sizes – Small Medium and Large – Cats and Dogs that have short medium and long hair. Use our Pet Brush confidently on all your pets. Trimming in just a 10 minute session. Also available - replacement stainless combs in blue, pink and yellow colors. A perfect cat hair remover
- #1 Cat & Dog Brush - Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets; trusted by millions of pet owners
- Effective - Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt & debris, keeps coat looking shiny and healthy
- Versatile - Great for cats & dogs of all fur types
- Easy to Clean - Simply retract bristles with the push of a button, then wipe away collected fur
- Smart Design - Fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it easy to keep your pet looking happy & healthy
- BEST PET BRUSH FOR MEDIUM TO LONG HAIRED DOGS & CATS - 9 rounded teeth on one side for easy removal of mats and tangles (USE SHORT STROKES) / 17 rounded teeth on other side perfect for deshedding and thinning hair. Great deshedding & dematting comb for long haired cats and dogs.
- SAFE UNDERCOAT RAKE FOR DOGS AND CATS - Inner part of the brush’s teeth is sharp enough to remove dead undercoat hair, yet 100% safe enough to prevent any harm to your pet while brushing and dematting. One of the best dog grooming brushes for shedding and thinning!
- COMFORTABLE AND SOOTHING TO YOUR PET - The outer part of the brush’s teeth is soft and rounded creating a massaging effect which calms your dog or cat while brushing, detangling, and deshedding. [NEVER PULL THROUGH A MAT - ALWAYS USE SHORT STROKES TO DEMAT]
- HELPS CREATE A HEALTHY SHINY COAT - Gets rid of dead hairs that cause bad odor while massaging the skin to create better blood circulation which brings color to your pet's hair. Fall in love with your pet’s hair all over again.
- PERFECT DESHEDDING & DEMATTING GROOMING TOOL: Great tool for deshedding double-coated breeds - Easily removes loose undercoat. Also, great for removing mats & tangles - Keep your pet healthy and mat-free.
- ★ GROOMING MADE EASY ★ Get essential grooming tools for dogs and cats in one swoop. This set includes a slicker de-matting brush,and heavy-duty pet nail clippers. Save money by giving your furry buddy a good groom from the comfort of home.
- ★ UPGRADED PAIN-FREE BRISTLES ★ SELF-CLEANING SLICKER BRUSH With Rubber Tips Bristles Removing knots, dander, and loose hair from your pet’s fur just got easier. Press the button on the slicker brush after you’re done and watch the bristles retract and the hair fall right off. Ideal for all sizes of dogs and cats and all hair types.
- ★ FREE PET NAIL CLIPPERS ★ Give your pet’s nails a nice trim the safe way. Our cat and dog nail trimmers stand out with their sharpness, durability, and a safety stop that prevents cutting nails too short. You’ll love the high-quality stainless steel and the comfortable ergonomic handle.
- ★ Free 7.5" Comb ★Perfect for finishing, fluffing, and dematting, this 7.5” steel comb is a must-have in any pet grooming supplies set. Use it as a dog grooming comb to massage their skin and remove hair, or a cat grooming comb to have your kitty looking spiffy.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE Weve got your back with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Reach out to us in case of any issues with your pet grooming accessories and well do all we can to make it right. Click Add to Cart now and get your kit completely risk-free!
- Rotating metal teeth: the rotating metal teeth remove loose hair from undercoat and help prevent tangles and mats in dense fur.
- Best for thick fur: The grooming Rake is best for dogs and cats with thick fur or dense double coats.
- Convenient solution: convenient daily solution to undercoat care.
- Ergonomic handle: The ergonomic nonslip handle gives you maximum control.
- Guaranteed: guaranteed to work on or your money back (See instructions for Details).
Does FURminator Work on Labs?
Yes, FURminator works on Labradors, and they are one of the safest choices.
FURminator is a specialized dog brush that helps in removing dead hairs which otherwise remain tangled in the dog’s coat or shed and get stuck in the carpet. FURminator is also known as the ‘De-Shedding’ tool and is available in a range of colors and sizes. If you are looking for one for Labrador, definitely go with a large one.
What Oil Is Best for Labs To Help With Shedding?
Oils do help a lot be it for humans (controlling hair fall) or dogs (for controlling Shedding). There are a variety of supplements that your dog can take, and oils are some of them. With the right essential oils, you can invest in reducing Shedding and making your Labrador’s coat shinier and healthier.
Here are some Oils that your dog may gain benefit from:
- Fish Oil (Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, fish oil is a superfood for dogs. It can improve your dog’s memory, clear down allergies, and even soothe arthritis).
- Coconut Oil (It is an excellent fat and a popular ingredient in dog grooming and feeding products. Its topical usage can improve conditions like itching, dryness, yeast, redness, hot spots, and even allergies).
- Primrose Oil (Another excellent fat, it is known for anti-inflammatory qualities and making dog’s skin and coat healthier. It can be given both orally or topically).
- Flaxseed Oil (It is a rich source of essential fatty acids that helps dogs who are suffering from skin and hair issues).
- Olive Oil (It is wonderful for a dog’s overall health. It can aid in betterment during cardiovascular conditions, immune problems, and Shedding).
What Months Do Labs Shed The Most?
Labradors shed the most between March to May and during the months of October and November, basically the fall and spring seasons. This climate-induced Shedding remains excessive for a good 2 to 3 weeks or sometimes even longer. However, as the season passes, the Shedding reduces, but it doesn’t stop.
Who Sheds More Lab Or Golden? What Color Lab Sheds Least?
Labradors and Golden (Retrievers) both shed the same amount of hair, given they have a very similar coat. The only noticeable difference is since Golden have longer fur, the overall volume of their shredded hair will, of course, appear more. However, it by no means indicates if they shed more.
And in Labradors, coat color has not been conclusively linked with Shedding. It is their coat type that makes Labs shed more and coat type is similar in each of them regardless of their color. However, there are rumors that Chocolate and Black Labs shed less, but since no scientific evidence supports them, they are baseless.
That’s all, folks. Labradors are those dogs who shed excessively, and there’s no way you can stop that. You may contribute to reducing the Shedding but will still have to face it throughout the year.
However, if Shedding in your Labradors seems unusual, you should immediately reach a reputed Vet. Your dog’s underlying health conditions might are contributing to the same. Therefore, focus on their health first, and it will surely improve their hair appearance and robustness as a by-product.
We're an affiliate! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.