Wondering if that’s actually Dandruff on your Labrador’s fur? Well, Yes, this annoying, unsightly skin condition can often hit your dog, and it should never be taken normally.
Just like humans, dogs too can struggle with the pain of Dandruff. These embarrassing white flakes atop your precious Labrador’s hair, though rather on the head, usually appear on the dog’s back, face, and flanks.
However, is there anything alarming about Dog Dandruff? Dandruff is pretty common in Adult Labs and puppies. Some Reasons Include Seborrhea, Fungal Or Bacterial Infections, Dry Air Or Less Humidity, Allergies, Parasites Or Mites, Poor Diet, Endocrine Disorders, And Improper Grooming. We will discuss them in detail later in this article.
Is it normal for puppies to have Dandruff? Is Dog Dandruff alarming?
Puppies are prone to Dandruff more than adults or older dogs since the puppy’s sebaceous glands are still developing. Sebaceous Glands basically produce oil that aids in keeping the coat shiny and sleek. Since the oil development is less, the puppy’s skin likely gets dry more often, giving way to issues like Dandruff and flakes. However, once the dog gets older, the dandruff issue will probably end or at least slow down to a great extent.
Similarly, dog dandruff isn’t always alarming, and before looking for an expert solution, it is essential to look out for many other symptoms. For instance, the situation goes alarming when your dog develops pimples and scabs and experiences excessive itching and hair loss.
Such symptoms, along with visible Dandruff, can be a sign of any serious underlying issue. Therefore, upon observing the same with your dog, it is better to reach a Veterinarian soon. The Vet will suggest your dog for some tests, including Blood tests, bacterial and fungal checks, and potentially a skin scrap test as well.
Are Labradors prone to Dandruff?
Labradors or dogs, in general, are prone to Dandruff and flakiness. However, not all Labradors but Black Labs are more prone to catching skin conditions like Dandruff.
When Labs suffer from Dandruff, the flakes of their dead skin will fall out or completely hang into their hair.
Besides that, you may also notice tiny white flakes on their blanket, your clothes, or other common surfaces where your dog usually rest or stay active.
Dandruff on your Labradors appears very similar to that on humans.
Why does my lab puppy have Dandruff?
Dandruff on Labradors can appear due to a variety of reasons.
As with humans, Dandruff in dogs can be a result of many physical and as well as external factors.
From yeast infections to allergies, dog dandruff can appear due to endless reasons. Here we will get into some of the most common causes.
11 Causes of Lab Puppy Dandruff and How to Get Rid of It
Seborrhea is an extremely common cause of Dandruff in Labradors or dogs in general. Seborrhea is a medical condition categorized as Primary and Secondary. In this condition, the skin’s sebaceous glands produce an excessive amount of sebum which further results in scaly, flaky, and red skin. It is when your dog’s greasy/ oily glands are more active.
While Primary Seborrhea is majorly genetic and less likely to hit many dogs. It is commonly Secondary Seborrhea that leads to skin conditions like Dandruff. The latter is often a result of underlying skin conditions or allergies.
- Skin Infections (Fungal Skin Infections)
Either dogs or humans can suffer from Skin Infections regardless of how careful a life they lead. Skin conditions like bacterial and fungal infections create a vicious cycle harming the skin’s ability to protect and repair itself. Dandruff, though, is a by-product, but such infections will primarily lead to greasy patches, hot spots, rashes, and sometimes even painful wounds.
- Yeast Infections and Bacterial Infections
Dogs may often suffer from yeast infections, and you may probably observe them scratching or licking that infectious part. Though less likely but in some cases, yeast infections too can lead to irritated, itchy, or flaky skin.
Similarly, bacterial infections like impetigo and folliculitis can also lead to heavy Dandruff in dogs. The former develops near the abdomen, likely on a hairless portion and is common amongst puppies. Whereas the latter appear on the hairy portion of the dog’s body, inflaming the hair follicles. It may cause sores, bumps, and scabs on the skin and eventually lead to flaky and irritating skin.
- Cheyletiella Mites
Cheyletiella Mites is a genus of mites also commonly known as Walking Dandruff. An infestation of mites often causes this skin disease. The small mites find comfort in a dog’s coat and skin and later lay eggs. However, since the mites are visible to the naked eyes, one can spot them appearing like Dandruff. Due to excessive itchiness, Cheyletiella Mites can lead to flaky skin, making a dog’s life highly miserable.
- Endocrine disorders
Endocrine disorders are hormonal disorders, and dogs commonly suffer from their Cushing and Hypothyroidism variants. The disorder leads to creating too much cortisol in the dog’s body which further results in difficulty of blood-glucose level maintenance, power to fight infections, and weight disorders. In many cases, the heavy effects of such disorders can also lead to Dandruff and other clinical signs. Or, Hypothyroidism is another condition that leads dogs to secondary infections such as Dandruff.
Parasitic infections such as fleas which are often caused by mites can also lead to Dandruff in dogs. In addition, due to constant itching, the dog’s skin will start losing flakes which also appear as Dandruff.
- Environmental and Food Allergies
Dogs can develop both environmental and food allergies, which can lead them to skin problems like Dandruff. In dogs, allergies usually lead to skin issues, including dry, flaky skin.
Therefore, doing a patch test of products or a special hypoallergenic diet trial is better before introducing something new to your canine buddy.
- Low Humidity or Dry Air
Low humidity means the air around in the environment will probably strip more oil from your pet labrador’s skin, leaving it dry, flaky, and likely with conditions like Dandruff.
- Poor Diet
Dogs who aren’t receiving enough water and fat in their daily diet might suffer from dry skin. In addition, it will probably make their coat suffer, causing dull hair, hair loss, and Dandruff.
Fatty acids such as omega-3s and omega-6s are some essential supplements for keeping skin and hair healthy. Therefore the absence of such ingredients in the diet can lead to Dandruff.
- Under or Over-Grooming
Under or Over-Grooming in dogs can contribute to dandruff development, dry skin, and other skin-related conditions.
Not Labradors, but some specific dog breeds, including Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, etc., are prone to developing Dandruff.
How do I get rid of Dandruff on my lab puppy?
If you observe Dandruff on your Labrador puppy, it isn’t something you must think to ignore. A couple of flakes once in a long while may go on their own. However, a settled dandruff condition that has been there for a long and prominently needs medical and medicinal assistance.
Here are some Symptoms of Dandruff amongst Labradors that may ask for quick action:
- Itching or discomfort
Dandruff means itching, which eventually leads to discomfort. Flaky skin often initiates itching or behavior, signalling discomfort.
If you are observing redness on your dog’s skin, it is because the canine has scratched Dandruff very harshly.
- Lots of flakes
The dog’s skin isn’t usually very flaky unless he is suffering from Dandruff. If you notice a few flakes, try brushing them out. However, if the flakes persist, it is an alarming situation.
Dandruff, due to allergies or infections, can sometimes behave stinky too.
- Hair loss
In some cases, especially when Dandruff is long living on your dog’s skin, it may also lead to hair loss.
Puppy has dandruff and itching: Labrador dandruff treatment.
Your Labrador’s Dandruff can often be treated at home with simple remedies, given how severe the case is. The ones that appear due to climatic and environmental conditions usually go on their own as the weather changes.
Dandruff due to food allergies, too, goes as and when the allergy gets treated. However, in many cases, especially if the underlying cause is an infection or so on, Dandruff can persist in your Labrador. You can prevent or remove this type of Dandruff either at home or by visiting the Vet.
Here are 9 tips and tricks for the same:
- Regular brushing and combing help in keeping the coat of Labradors (or any other dog) shiny. Doing so may prevent dandruff generation in the first place.
- Bathing is another crucial part of grooming that helps in dandruff-causing conditions like seborrhea or bacterial and fungal infections. Shampoos that are formulated for a dog’s pH levels also help in keeping their skin moisturized, thus keeping Dandruff far away.
- Using a humidifier at home will increase air moisture content and potentially counter seasonal Dandruff.
- An oatmeal bath or anti-dandruff shampoo can also help fight Dandruff amongst dogs. For an oatmeal bath, take 1 cup of raw powdered oatmeal, 1 quart of warm water, and 1/2 cup of baking soda and mix them in a large bowl. Now wet your dog and rub the mixture generously all over his body, especially the areas infected with Dandruff. Later rinse the mixture before it dries out and sticks to your dog’s fur. Repeat the process once every week until you notice improvement.
- Incorporate omega-3s, omega-6s, and other fatty acid supplements into your dog’s diet. Ensure your dog is getting a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Treat any underlying health conditions that are leading to Dandruff and flaky skin problems in your dog.
- Ensure no food, environmental, or medicinal condition is triggering Dandruff in dog. Rule out all the possibilities and work on improving them.
- Feed your dog yoghurt or kefir, basically probiotics.
- If Dandruff isn’t due to any allergic reasons, soothe your dog’s skin using some organic cold pressed coconut oil. However, before you rub oil all over the dog’s body, do perform a patch test for any kind of allergic reactions.
Which shampoo should I use for my Labrador puppy dandruff?
8 Best Dog Shampoo for Dandruff Control in 2022
- BioSilk for Dogs Combo Pack Whitening Shampoo with Dog Detangling Spray
- Jungle Pet Aloe Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs
- Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo with Omega 3 and Vitamin E
- Burt’s Bees for Dogs Oatmeal Dog Shampoo With Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey
- Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs
- Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner for Allergies and Dry, Itchy, Skin.
- Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner – for Dogs with Allergies and Dry Itchy Sensitive Skin
- Pet MD – Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- THE PERFECT SET FOR QUICK, EASY & EFFECTIVE DOG GROOMING — This set includes one 8 ounce bottle of Biosilk Detangling Plus Shine Protecting Mist and one BioSilk for Dogs Double Sided Pin & Bristle Brush. Both products are ideal for quick, easy, and effective dog grooming
- DETANGLES AND REMOVES MATS BETWEEN BATHS — Dog brush and dog detangling spray are wonderful solutions for detangling, removing mats, tangles and loose hair from your dog's coat in between baths
- SAME CLASSIC INGREDIENTS AS THE HUMAN LINE — BioSilk for Dogs features the same classic ingredients and innovative technology as the original and revolutionary Biosilk Silk Therapy line for humans
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS — Dog brush is suitable for both long and short hair, and the detangling spray is pH balanced specifically for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Biosilk's dog spray is made in the USA with high quality silk proteins and is safe and free of parabens and sulfates
- HUNT DOWN DRY, ITCHY & FLAKY SKIN: Our aloe & oatmeal shampoo for dogs offers a soap-free and hypoallergenic solution. Safe for dogs of all ages, This formula will not wash off flea and tick preventatives.
- SOOTHING RELIEF: Formulated with natural ingredients for soothing relief while rejuvenating the skin and providing vital nutrients and ingredients.
- ALOE AND OATMEAL INFUSED FORMULA: Relieves dry, itchy skin while leaving the coat and fur clean, shiny and silky smooth. Oatmeal has a natural soothing agent and is great for hotspots and other skin conditions. Aloe is a powerhouse natural ingredient that brings soothing relief to dry, itchy, flaky skin.
- FRESH AND CLEAN PIÑA COLADA SCENT: Our GREAT smelling aloe and oatmeal shampoo is infused with pina colada scent that will leave your pet with a super soft, easy to brush coat, that smells wonderfully clean and fresh.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA: Ensure your Jungle Pet is getting the care it deserves by using quality, American-made products formulated in the best controlled and regulated facilities!
- DID YOU KNOW DOG SKIN DIFFERS FROM HUMAN'S - Dogs' skin is less acidic than human skin, so human shampoos destroy a dog's skin protective barrier, leaving your pet vulnerable to itchy flaking
- NO. 1 PET GROOMING BRAND IN THE USA*-See why millions of pet parents entrust their pet's health and hygiene to Burt's Bees for Pets. This natural shed-control shampoo for dogs is no exception
- STRENGTHENS FUR AND REDUCES BREAKAGE - Shed control shampoo strengthens the fur and reduces breakage using natural ingredients with Omega-3s and Vitamin E
- NO SULFATES, COLORANTS, ADDED FRAGRANCE OR HARSH CHEMICALS - This formula is free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals. That's what makes Burt's Bees for Pets a natural dog company unlike any other
- SAFE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES - This shampoo is pH balanced for dogs and puppies of all ages, so it's perfect to add to your puppy supplies kit or dog grooming supplies
- DID YOU KNOW DOG SKIN DIFFERS FROM HUMAN'S - Dogs' skin is less acidic than human skin, so human shampoos destroy a dog's skin protective barrier, leaving your pet vulnerable to itchy flaking
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS - Burt's Bees Oatmeal Shampoo cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog's dry skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS - This gentle formula includes ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES - This mild tearless shampoo is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE - Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
- Made in the USA - Our oatmeal formula pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended for moisturizing dry skin & providing itch relief
- Oatmeal Formula – This coconut lime verbena scented pet shampoo is great for moisturizing dry skin, cleaning dirty coats, & itch relief. The thick lather rinses off clean & keeps your pet looking and smelling clean
- Less is More - Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as much as other dog shampoos. A little bit of shampoo goes a long way and provides a rich lather that’s easy to rinse off
- Allergy Friendly - Our dog icon, Rocket, was designed in the image of our family dog Cooper – a golden doodle, who has severe allergies. This is the only shampoo we have found safe and effective. He loves the smell too!
- The Brand Used by Professionals - Wahl has been serving professional vets and groomers for over 50 years. clean, condition fur & hair for a smooth, soft coat. We are a company of animal lovers that want the best for your family member
- Five Benefits In One Wash - Cleans, deodorizes, conditions and detangles coat, moisturizes skin-- Honest Paws Skin and Coat 5-in-1 Dog Wash is a one-step and easy to use premium dog wash. It is all you need to keep your dog’s fur and skin soft, moisturized and clean.
- Safe, Non-irritating, Natural Ingredients - Other brands claim to be natural but only have less than 1% of natural ingredients! Unlike other industry-standard dog shampoos that may contain harmful synthetic chemicals, Well has 98.25% of its ingredients derived from a natural source, like coconut and palm. Our eco-friendly formula is plant based, but still works wonders at cleaning and conditioning the coat.
- So Soft, Clean, And Shiny - This wash uses the hydrating properties of soothing oats and aloe that replenishes the skin’s natural moisture while conditioning the fur. Prevent matting and irritation, and keep your pup happy with each bath.
- Good For All Breeds And Ages - This formula can be used on all breeds and on puppies over 12 weeks of age. It is dye-free, and it does not contain MEA, DEA, sulfates, or parabens.
- Honest Paws Guarantee - We hold ourselves to the highest of standards when it comes to your satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with your product, let us know, so we can make it right. No if’s, no but’s, no disappointed pups.
- Most Other Shampoo For Dogs Are Cheap Soaps - Many With Harsh Chemicals And Detergents - K9-Max Is An All Natural Soap Free Vet Developed Formula That Is So Effective You Won't Believe it Is All Natural. This Soft Gentle Hypoallergenic Shampoo Is For Dry Itchy Sensitive Skin
- Proprietary Liposome Technology - Nano Liposome particles encapsulate the organic functional ingredients, adhere to the surface and penetrate through the skin, and thus carry the ingredients to areas where they are most effective
- K9-Max Is The Highest Quality Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo - We didn't sacrifice quality when we set out to produce the best dog shampoo ever available on amazon or anywhere. Made in the USA - manufactured in a top rated CGMP facility using only the highest quality ingredients
- Turn Bath Time Into Play Time - Your dog will love this time you get to spend together. In a tub or shower K9-Max pet wash shampoo applies easily using warm water. Simply wet your pet thoroughly then apply a generous amount of puppy shampoo and conditioner tear free, head to tail to feet. Rinse thoroughly and dry
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - We are so confident you and your dog will love this premium dog shampoo that if you are not satisfied for any reason - just let us know, and we will refund your purchase price - not other questions asked
- Relief of Scaling and Itching from Dermatitis, Skin Infections, and Follicular Plugging to Stop Scratching and Pain.
- Medicated Shampoo for Relieving Dry Itchy and Irritated Skin.
- Peroxide, Micronized Sulfur and Salicylic Acid for Powerful Cleaning and Degreasing.
- Soap and Paraben Free. Contains Skin Moisturizers and Deodorizers to Effectively Remove Scales and Oils from the Coat, Leaving your Dog or Cat Fresh, Clean and Happy.
- Made in the USA in our Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety.
This was all for Labradors and their Dandruff sufferings. We hope the information and ideas shared above will come in handy to many pet parents (if not all).
Though the above suggestions don’t seem to help your dog’s dandruff condition, it is probably an alarming situation that calls for Vet’s assistance. A quick once-over will help you find the underlying cause of the condition and treat it rightfully (and, of course, immediately).
Welcome To The Oxford Family! The Website Is Run And Managed By A Community Of Enthusiasts Informative About Pets. We Hope You Find It Useful.