Do dog joint supplements really work? Well, Joint supplements can do wonders for your dog. They not only relieve the pain, but they also have minimum side effects. Also, they may decrease the need for other medicines for inflammation.
Walking is the best and most natural way to strengthen your GSD’s back legs. If you walk your canine, keep it short and slow. This is because long walks may end up harming your canine’s back legs. Apart from walking, you can also take your canine for a swim session for strengthening your canine’s back legs.
Here’s the list of the best hip and joint supplements for German Shepherds-
13 Best Hip And Joint Supplement For German Shepherd Dogs
- ElleVet Hemp CBD Chews
ElleVet Hemp CBD Chews are a bit more expensive than other hip and joint supplements on the market. However, it is very tasty and efficient for your German Shepherd. Moreover, ElleVet Hemp CBD Chews are peanut butter flavoured. That is why most canines love its taste. Additionally, it is efficient in providing relief to joint pain, cognitive problems, shaking, and stress control in German Shepherds
- NuLife Hip & Joint Advanced Glucosamine powder
Advanced glucosamine powder contains 6oz powder, coral calcium, chondroitin, and glucosamine. It comes in powder form. Moreover, it is tasteless, odourless, and an easy-to-feed supplement for the hip and joints.
Glucosamine helps to repair broken joint tissues and reduce joint inflammation and stiffness. It helps in replenishing the synovial fluid in the joints which promotes flexibility.
Vets mostly recommend it for diseases like arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other degenerative illnesses. The best part is, it contains more than 74 natural minerals.
- PROVEN TO EASE DOG HIP AND JOINT PAIN – The combination of glucosamine chondroitin and MSM in our joint powder for dogs has been proven to relieve joint pain, support and repair cartilage, improve mobility and reduce inflammation and stiffness. Recommended by vets for dog arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other degenerative issues.
- 100% NATURAL AND SAFE – Our joint supplement for dogs formula is created from nature and safe for dogs of all ages, breeds and sizes especially older and senior pets. A smart alternative to expensive, potentially harmful medication! What’s more it’s made here in the USA in a GMP-certified facility.
- CONVENIENT POWDER FORM – Unlike large, foul-tasting tablets, chews and pills your doggie might reject, our odourless and flavorless dog joint supplement is easy to give! Simply sprinkle over your pets favourite food. No more daily struggle to give your dog their joint treatment. Even the pickiest pooch won't know it’s there!
- FORTIFIED WITH NUTRIENTS – Not only does our dog hip and joint supplement improve joint health, your beloved canine gets an additional health boost from above sea level organic coral calcium, which contains more than 74 naturally occurring trace minerals which helps strengthen the immune system, supports healthy bones, muscles and overall wellness.
- BEST VALUE! LASTS TWICE AS LONG – Unlike other joint supplements for dogs that might only last a month, one jar of our dog glucosamine lasts up to 72 days. And we guarantee your satisfaction! If you don't see improvements in your dog's health in 30-45 days, we'll refund your money. No questions asked. We pride ourselves in offering you the highest quality hip and joint for dogs supplement, customer service, care & commitment to your pet's health!
- YuMOVE hip and joint supplement
YuMOVE is a magical supplement for your GSD’s hips and joints. It contains Hyaluronic Acid, Green Lipped mussels, and Chondroitin.
This is a triple-action supplement that promotes active joints and supports your GSD’s joints by keeping them healthy. YuMOVE is considered to be the best joint supplement brand for German Shepherds in the UK.
Moreover, this is the official joint supplement of AKCs that helps GSDs to remain active.
- Official joint supplement of the American Kennel Club. Triple-action hip & joint supplement to aid stiffness, mobility and joint structure in adult dogs.
- Scientifically proven to give visible results in just 6 weeks*, YuMOVE is backed by 15 years of clinical research
- Contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin for high-strength joint support, Hyaluronic Acid to lubricate and cushion (ours reaches the joint within 2 hours!), plus Vitamins C and E to help maintain joint mobility
- Powered by our unique ActivEase Green Lipped Mussel - a super-concentrated source of high quality, joint-soothing Omega 3
- Recommended by Vets as the UK's #1 Vet Joint Supplement brand**
- Healthy Breeds Z-Flex Max
Z-flex Max contains – Perna canaliculus, Omega-3 fatty acids, Chondroitin, and, Glucosamine.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin work on worn-out joint tissues and synovial fluids respectively. Also, the supplement reduces inflammation and pain and makes your GSD joints strong.
- Z Flex Minis is our small dog formula and Z Flex Max is our large dog formula
- Perfect tasty blend of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Perna Canaliculus, and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Dogs love the taste. They think it is treat time!
- Supports the joints of working, older and active dogs. Helps to upkeep joint mobility, flexibility and healthy bone structure. Relieve pain from inflammation, arthritis, hip dysplasia, aging, stiffness, and sore joints
- MADE IN THE USA! Buy with confidence! All Healthy Breeds products are made in federally regulated manufacturing facilities. Excellent customer service and return policy. 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Healthy Breeds offers an assortment of dog products including health care, grooming, dental care and treats for over 200 breeds! Make sure to search for your breed! Click the Healthy Breeds hyperlink above to see our Amazon storefront
- Nutramax Dasuquin Chewable Tablets
These chewable tablets are well-suited for canines weighing above 60 pounds. The tablets strengthen your German shepherd’s hip and joints. To be precise, it contains 800 mg of MSM, 350 mg of CS, and 900 mg of Glucosamine.
Many canines do not like it because of its taste. However, it is mostly recommended by vets. Also, it is very cost-effective.
- #1 Veterinarian Recommended
- ASU COMPLIMENTS GLUCOSAMINE AND CHONDROITIN SULFATE: Dasuquin is a comprehensive joint supplement for dogs with ASU, a plant lipid shown to be safe in dogs.
- UNIQUE PATENTED FORMULA: Dasuquin goes beyond a standard joint supplement with a proprietary blend of ingredients that delivers comprehensive joint support to help keep your dog active and moving.
- #1 JOINT HEALTH BRAND: Recommended by Veterinarians*
- ANTIOXIDANT RICH: EGCG from decaffeinated Green Tea Extract and Boswellia serrata help support a healthy inflammatory response.
- Vet’s Best Aches and Pains Joint Supplement Chew Tablets for German Shepherds
These chewable tablets help to minimise the stiffness and soreness in joints. It contains all-natural products like white willow bark and pineapple bromelain. Most importantly, it does not include any aspirin.
The best part is the supplements are formulated by vets and boast an NASC seal of approval. Also, it is very affordable to buy.
- KEEP MOVING - Vet's Best Hip & Joint Dog Supplements provides advanced support for healthy joint function and mobility in a once-a-day soft chew.
- NATURALLY DERIVED INGREDIENTS - Our OptiLife3 formula, made with ocean kelp, provides antioxidants and prebiotics to help support a healthy immune system and digestive health.
- VETERINARIAN FORMULATED - Optimized to a low molecular weight for better absorption and digestion. Formulated with glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, green-Lipped mussel, and Omega 3 to help maximize joint mobility.
- ONCE-A-DAY - One package contains 30 soft chew supplements, in a delicious once-per-day treat for dogs and puppies (over 12 weeks old)
- APPROVED - Carries the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) Quality Seal.
- Zesty Paws’ multifunctional bites
Zesty paws’ multifunctional bites are efficient in providing various health benefits to your German shepherd. It provides health benefits like the gut, hip and joint care, skin, heart, and liver, and increased immunity. Also, it is very rich in antioxidants.
Moreover, it contains vitamin E and cod liver fish oil. It helps to nourish and moisturise the skin and coat of your canine’s skin.
This supplement also contains Chondroitin and glucosamine that helps to strengthen the joints, stop the tissues from self-damage, and keep the joints and hip in good condition.
- Boost the Immune System – Zesty Paws Aller-Immune Bites are grain free soft chews that support immune, histamine, and digestive health for dogs with skin, seasonal, and environmental allergy issues.
- Enhanced with EpiCor – At 80 mg per chew, Epicor contains vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants that are clinically proven to support the body's natural immune defenses to keep your dog healthy.
- Prebiotic & Probiotic Complex – These supplements feature a powerful Prebiotic and five strains of Probiotics for 250 million cfu of healthy bacteria that supports pet digestion and immune health.
- Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil - Each chew contains Salmon Fish Oil to provide Omega 3 fatty acids epa & dha that provide skin and immune support for dogs with allergies that cause itching and hot spots.
- Natural Ingredients - These chewables contain Colostrum, a pre milk that helps with allergies, immune function, and digestion, plus Apple Cider Vinegar and Organic Licorice Root for additional care.
- Doggie Dailies – Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement
This supplement is a treat-like chewable tablet for ensuring the optimum health of your GSD’s hip and joint health. It also reduces pain and increases mobility in aged canines.
These tablets contain MSM, chondroitin, and glucosamine along with other beneficial ingredients like coQ10, hyaluronic acid, and yucca schidigera.
- Fera Pet Organics Hip and Joint Soft Chew Supplements
This is a gluten-free hip and joint supplement for German shepherds. These vet-formulated chewable tablets do not contain preservatives and are best if your GSD has a food-related allergy. It includes ingredients like Glucosamine and MSM that promote healthy hips and joints.
- A NATURAL TREATMENT FOR ARTHRITIC PAIN – Help alleviate your dog’s arthritis pain and inflammation by giving them Fera Pet’s Hip + Joint Support Supplement. This dog joint support supplement contains natural organic turmeric curcumin to help your dog.
- ENHANCES BONE AND JOINT HEALTH – Boost your pet's ability to produce proteoglycans by regularly feeding them with this tasty dog joint supplement. Our formulation contains Chondroitin and MSM to enhance your pet’s bone and joint health.
- RICH IN OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS – Let your dog achieve healthy skin, coat, and joints with our healthy dog glucosamine supplement. It contains Green Lipped Mussels, a natural edible shellfish rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and glucosamine.
- COMPLIES WITH HIGH STANDARDS – Our natural dog chew product is formulated by our CEO, Veterinarian Dr. Dulake, in the USA. We manufacture our products in an advanced facility registered with the FDA, following GMP-compliant practices.
- BEARS THE NASC QUALITY SEAL – Our all natural products are of the highest quality standards with no harmful or artificial preservatives. Our joint supplement is perfectly safe for dogs older than 16 weeks.
- Solid Gold Glucosamine & Joint Health Chews
Solid gold glucosamine & joint health chews are natural and made with MSM, chondroitin, and glucosamine. It is a grain-free supplement for German Shepherds of all ages. It keeps the joints healthy.
Additionally, it contains green-lipped mussels that help to reduce inflammation in older dogs. The yucca schidigera is a great antioxidant and Boswellia serrata makes the joints flexible. The supplement also contains vitamins E and C. This mitigates cell damage and makes your GSD healthier from within.
- HELPS MAINTAIN STRONG BONES AND HEALTHY CARTILAGE - Helps maintain healthy joint function and mobility, promotes a healthy joint fluid viscosity and supports the structural integrity of joints and connective tissues
- POWERFUL, NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin promote healthy joint fluid viscosity; Green Lipped Mussel, Boswellia Serrata & Yucca Schidigera help ease joint stiffness and promote joint health
- NUTRIENT PACKED FORMULA - Solid Gold Advanced Joint Health Chews are packed with omega fatty acids, vitamins C and E, Zinc, and antioxidants for overall wellness
- HOLISTIC PET NUTRITION - Our formula is free of artificial dyes or dyes, BHA, BHT, Carrageenan all while being made in the USA
- DELICIOUS, CONVENIENT CHEW - Great for picky dogs! 120 count jar provides 1 month supply for 40-79 lb dog. See packaging for dosage recommendations by weight
- Nutramax Laboratories – Cosequin DS Plus MSM
Cosequin is one of the best joint health supplements by Nutramax Laboratories. This supplement does not contain ASUS and otherwise is similar to Dasuquin’s ingredients like MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, etc. additionally, it contains manganese ascorbate. This ingredient keeps the bones healthy.
- #1 Veterinarian Recommended
- Your veterinarian may suggest Cosequin supplements if your dog is having difficulties climbing stairs, jumping into the car, or going for walks
- Cosequin supplements are formulated to meet a variety of needs
- Cosequin for dogs is available in a tasty chicken flavored chewable tablet to help your dog maintain healthy joints and support joint mobility
- Manufactured in the United States with globally sourced ingredients, Cosequin is a high quality, dog joint supplement, and is excellent for long-term use and maintenance
- WoofWell Health Supplements
This supplement is specially made for German Shepherds. It is a bacon-flavoured chew that balances your GSD’s specific health needs. The supplements promote healthy hips, joints, and elbows. It also has Omega 3 which promotes healthy skin and fur.
- GERMAN SHEPHERD SUPPLEMENT: The world's first breed-specific supplements formulated specifically to support the functional health requirements of German Shepherd Dogs.
- DOG HIP AND JOINT SUPPLEMENT: Enhances the functions of joint and connective tissue. Helps to maintain healthy hips, joint health and flexibility. Can also relieve occasional joint stiffness.
- OCULAR HEALTH: Helps to maintain normal eye function, healthy vision development and long-term ocular health.
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Recommended to support normal immune system function to help maintain normal and healthy inflammatory levels, an essential objective for any dog, especially as they age.
- TO USE: For dogs weighing less than 65 lbs: 2 chews daily. For dogs 65-99 lbs: 3 chews daily. For dogs 100 lbs and up: 4 chews daily. Store in a cool, dry place.
- Vetericyn All-in Life-stage supplements
It is very important to note that German shepherd pups can face joint and hip issues. Therefore, to mitigate this problem, it is best to provide this supplement for healthy hips and joints. It is tasty, affordable, and easily available.
- MORE THAN JUST ANOTHER MULTIVITAMIN: Clinically designed with natural ingredients to support the key biological needs of adult dogs, focusing on helping your dog’s vital systems recharge and recover.
- FULL SPECTRUM DIGESTIVE HEALTH: Healthy dogs have healthy digestive systems, ALL-IN has a patented ingredient complex designed to give your dog the best gut health.
- IMMUNE AND CELLULAR SUPPORT: Antioxidants to help prevent disease and specific vitamins and minerals to help reduce symptoms of allergies, ALL-IN dog supplements give your dog a strong immune system.
- SUPPORT BONE, JOINT HEALTH AND MUSCULAR ENDURANCE: letting your dog run and play is important, with ALL-IN you can rest assured they are getting the vital nutrients to support an active lifestyle.
- OVERALL HEALTH FOR EVERY VITAL ORGAN: ALL-IN also has ingredient complexes to target and support brain and heart health, ensuring every part of your dog is taken care of.
reasons for providing supplements to GSD’s
GSDs need to be physically very active to maintain their health. Still, there are many factors that can affect the hips and joints. These factors include –
- Genetic disposition
- Age, etc
Because of these factors, your German Shepherd may face the following diseases.
- It starts developing in the puppy stage
- This mostly happens due to the unusual development of joint and hip ones
- This is an unusual situation where the bones start colliding with each other.
- Eventually, it results in bone grinding
- This exerts pressure on the bones and the dog feels pain sensation and has limited mobility.
- According to Researchgate, this is a chronic disease that affects the joints.
- Therefore, there is a loss of mobility
- The canine suffers from severe pain and joint inflammation
Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)
- In this issue, the cartilage gets separated from the joint bone.
- It results in inflammation, pain, limping, etc.
- The issue can be solved with surgery.
When Should I Begin Using a Joint Care Supplement (Glucosamine, Chondroitin) for My German Shepherd?
The larger the breed you have, the earlier you should provide supplements. GSDs are very much prone to severe hip and joint issues. In fact, many vets recommend supplements for GSD once they stop growing.
Joint pain is a bad thing to see in your German Shepherd therefore, it is better to talk to your vet and start finalising the treatment.
At what age do German Shepherds start having health problems?
GSDs can start having issues with hips and joints from 4 months of age. Moreover, it is important to see the signs of issues like hip dysplasia to find the correct treatment for your canine.
Some of the common symptoms of hip dysplasia are:
- Loss of muscle
- Pain and stiffness after rest
- Decreased activity
These were some of the best hip and joint supplements for your German Shepherd. Same as us, canines also suffer from bone issues as they grow old. Moreover, as they are highly active, it makes them more prone to various types of illnesses.
Therefore, you should start any of these supplements after consulting your vet.
I hope you enjoyed the article. I will be back soon with more informative and interesting pieces of writing. Till then, stay connected. Thank you.
Frequently asked questions
Do German shepherds need hip and joint supplements?
Yes, German Shepherds do need hip and joint supplements as soon as they stop growing. Therefore, it is better if you start giving supplements to your German Shepherd as soon as possible. You should consult your vet before giving your canine any supplements.
What can I give my German Shepherd for his hips?
For treating hip dysplasia in canines, you can do the following things-
- Joint fluid modifiers
- Physical therapy
- Anti-inflammatory medicines
- Joint supplements
- Exercise restriction
- Weight reduction
How can I keep my German Shepherd joint healthy?
Here are 8 easy ways to keep your German Shepherd’s joint healthy-
- Laser therapy
- Provide an orthopaedic dog bed
- Massage therapy
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Prevent slipping
- Canine acupuncture
- Give anti-inflammatory food
- Keep moving
We're an affiliate! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.