Wondering, How to Get Rid of Worms in your shower drain? Discovering unwanted visitors at home is definitely not a pleasant experience. However, it is common in many households that every once in a while, you might observe drain flies in your kitchen or bathroom sinks.
Regardless of how disgusted you might feel, these tiny creatures will feed on the decomposing organic matter of your drain and make it their permanent home. However, if you will interrupt, you can control their presence to a great extent.
Getting rid of drain Worms and Flies is tricky but not at all impossible. There are many easy DIYs and product-based methods that transform your drains into a squeaky clean, and hygienic place all over again.
Prevent Worms and Flies in the Shower or Sink Drain
The only good news about Drain worms and flies is that they can get fixed. Once you discover them at your home, tighten your belt, gather some essentials and get into the mission of eliminating all the gunk from your drain and sink.
The step-by-step guide includes more than 15 tips/ tricks/ methods aiding in eliminating Drain worms and flies.
How do I get rid of drain worms (Steps and Process)
Before you begin to control, identify the source of worm and fly breeding in your drain. Such creatures inside pipes and drains often breed/ gather over water and food residue. The fundamental here is identifying and terminating the food and water source.
Next, remove and unclog your drain filters.
Drain filters are the breeding ground for worms, adult flies, fleas, gnats, fruit flies, and seemingly many more house pests. Therefore, you must regularly unclog your drain filters to eliminate their presence. Every 2 to 3 days while you are cleaning your sinks, consider going for a little deep cleaning and save yourself from the crucial gunk build-up.
Clean the U-trap of your drain since it is where maximum gnats congregate quite commonly. Locate it underneath the sink, open it, and clean it thoroughly.
Take a long stiff brush with harsh bristles and clean down all the gunk inside your drain. A good scrubbing will potentially remove any build-up or hidden worms and flies from every nook and corner.
Next, take a bowl and mix products that make for a great cleaning combination. Products like Borax, Baking Soda/Power, Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Cornstarch, Castile Soap, Salt, Toothpaste, Hydrogen Peroxide, and even Isopropyl Alcohols make up standalone or combination cleaning products. Now, for instance, mix Baking Soda with Vinegar/ Lemon juice or pour alone Hydrogen Peroxide inside the drain.
Leave it for about 3 to 4 hours or even overnight. Next morning, pour boiling hot water all over the drain, and you will observe some kind of chemical reaction happening there. This, though, will probably clean your clogged drain from worms, flies, and all kinds of gunk.
(TIP: Repeat this step every 4 to 5 days to maintain a clean and unclogged drain).
Invest in a Plumbing snake, and it will help you remove all the grime and gunk even from the deepest of your drain pipe. Several Plumbing Snakes are available both online and offline, and these devices are extremely handy.
- Exquisite packaging and size: 5 25-inch orange drainage pipe blockage removal tools, The sink drain hair cleaner tool is long enough to catch hair and blockages in various Snake Drain sinking pipes.
- Good flexibility: The material of the drain pipe hair remover is very soft, and the sink blockage remover is made of high-quality polypropylene, which can quickly pick up the hair and dredge the sink. It is flexible to dredge the shower sink. , Can bend a variety of filters and P-trap pipes.
- Sufficient length and perfect design: Orange 25 inches long enough length, with sharp teeth, flexible drainage pipe clogging removal tool, grab the sink hair, insert the deep pipe, hold the ring, and easily pull out the clogging hair drain .
- Easy to use: just hold the handle ring, insert it, pull it up and down and rotate it 2~3 times to remove the blockage. It will not pinch your hands during operation, and can be easily and safely rinsed off.
- Widely used and environmentally friendly: An excellent drainage tool for kitchen sinks, toilets, washbasins, bathtubs and sewers. Plastic pipe cleaning tools are cheaper than chemical drainage cleaners and can be recycled, which is practical and affordable!
For quick cleaning action, simply insert the coil into the drain pipe, twist it around and pull it out. Doing so will not only destroy all the breeding grounds but will also remove all the clogged hair and debris efficiently.
Use a plunger and unclog your drain, especially if you commonly notice worms and flies. Quick action with a toilet plunger will ensure dismissing all those organic matters that support the breeding of worms and grime.
- Contains a large round brush for easy cleaning
- Turbo plunger has rubber grip handle and extended rubber plunger provides highly effective results
- Caddy has a non-slip base
- Master Plunger 100, largest capacity Bellows toilet plunger on the market, uses 10 cups of water displacement to clear stubborn clogs
- Prevent water overflow while plunging with the Master Plunger’s unique patented design automatic air relief valve. Automatic valve allows trapped air in the bellows to escape automatically, preventing toilet water from overflowing onto the floor Patent # 10760252
- Master Plunger - the original bellows plunger, this plunger’s brute force will clear clogs fast and with less effort
- Master Plunger’s tri-level nozzle design gives a better seal in kitchen sinks and toilets
- Made in U.S.A with high quality material, get the best most effective hand held unclogging tool
Use duct tape to seal the drain and trap those unwanted flies. While you leave duct tape over your drain for a night, it will catch all those flies who would try to merge during the duration. Ensure drying the sink before you stick the tape to the drain mouth. Follow this trick during dark hours and at least for a week.
For drains that are less under use, pour in some oil, and it will prevent the infestation of worms and flies. Mineral oil, by covering the drains’ surfaces, makes it difficult for adult flies to lay eggs.
- FOOD GRADE - This butcher block conditioner is lab tested to ensure that it meets food safety standards, and is also colorless, odorless, tasteless, and gluten free.
- PROTECTION - Use this mineral oil for cutting board restoration and protection to prevent cracking and drying. It also magically restores your knives, kitchen appliances, and more!
- EASY APPLICATION - This butcher block oil has a push-applicator cap and squeeze-bottle design that makes maintenance a breeze. Apply generously with a rag or by hand and let sit for 4 hours.
- TREATMENT - A single bottle of mineral oil for wood cutting boards can last for years! A Thirteen Chefs 1oz oil treatment every 3 months is all you need for a cutting board up to 18".
- MADE IN THE USA - Our 100% pure food grade mineral oil for cutting board cleaning undergoes regular safety testing and is bottled in FDA compliant facilities in the United States
Remove excess moisture from your drain and ensure keeping it dry most of the time. Household pests commonly thrive in damp environments, and therefore ensuring a dry and clean surface/ drain will remove worms and flies. Apart from cleaning, you can also use products like dehumidifiers or ensure a ventilation system.
Try using Insect Growth Regulator. It is basically a pesticide that mimics hormones in young insects and disrupts their reproduction and growth process. They can prevent egg-hatch and molting and thus helps in getting rid of worms and flies from the drain.
Instead of products like Insect Growth Regulator, you can also choose from the number of Insecticides available on the market.
- For Sale By PestcontrolPros See Pestcontrolpros Amazon Store for More Professional Pest & Insect Control Products
- Active Ingredient: 1.3% Nylar Target Pests: Fleas, Roaches, Mosquitoes, Gnats, Crickets, Litter Beetles, Ants.
- Application: indoors and outdoors. Follow label directions for pest and application directions Pet Safe when used as directed
- Yield: 1 oz. of mixed concentrate covers approx. 1,000 sq. ft. of carpet or flooring.
- INSECT KILLER - This pest control is great for use on cabbage looper, hornworms, tent caterpillar, gypsy moth, bagworm and many more.
- PROTECTS FRUITS, VEGETABLES, SHADE TREES & ORNAMENTALS - Designed for use on broccoli, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, eggplant, pepper, melons, tomatoes, cabbage, shade trees and ornamentals.
- DOESN'T HARM BENEFICIAL INSECTS - Kills worms and caterpillar stage insects while causing no harm to birds, earthworms, or beneficial insects, such as honeybees and ladybugs.
- FAST ACTING FORMULA - Must be eaten by worms or caterpillars to be effective. After ingesting, bugs immediately stop feeding and will die within 2-3 days.
- ORGANIC GARDENING - The active ingredient of the product is a natural strain of the bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis, which is a leading insecticide used worldwide. Approved for organic gardening, our product is safe for use around people and pets.
Use liquid dish soap spray, especially if they contain Borax. Since such products have insecticidal properties, they will probably kill flies after 1 to 2 tries.
Pour in some Drain cleaner or clod remover, and it will eliminate traces of worms and flies as well.
Diluted liquid castile soap and pour it into your kitchen drain every other day.
Pour some essential oils mixed with lukewarm water into your drain. Pick oils from a range of options, including Peppermint oil, Lemongrass oil, Citronella Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Tea Tree Oil, etc.
How to identify drain worms?
Drain worms are flies’ larvae and are easily seen in your sink, filter, sewer, and other areas where water is often clogged.
They aren’t usually longer than 1/6 inches and have dark grey or black, fuzzy bodies with long antennas.
You will find drain organisms in your kitchen or bathroom if you haven’t cleaned your house in a while.
Further, these worms and flies will grow in the gelatinous slime and eventually accumulate in wet spots like drains, pipes, etc.
What Kind of Black Worms Would Invade Sink?
Black worms are the larvae of the drain fly that survive off organic matter, mineral residue, and soap scum.
They are initially birth in dark cream or brown color but eventually transform into black.
Do drain worms smell?
Yes, if there are multiple flies and worms in your drain, they will smell puckish. In the beginning, you won’t notice their presence or smell when pests are less in quantity.
However, eventually, as their number grows, there would ouze out a very foul smell that even many room fresheners can’t overpower.
Do drain worms bite? Can drain worms get in your body?
Drain worms are completely harmless, no matter how good or bad they look.
Unlike other pests, drain worms would neither bite nor they will transmit blood-borne diseases to humans.
Drain worms are simply annoying, would smell weird, and can even clog pipelines and drains.
Why do I have little worms in my shower?
If you have little worms in your shower, it is because there’s either standing water or any food source nearby.
This was all about tips and tricks that will help you eliminate worms and flies from your drain.
However, if none of them helps, it is time to induct a pest control operation at your home.
Doing so will clean not only your drain and pipes but also other areas of your home with common household pests.
Welcome To The Oxford Family! The Website Is Run And Managed By A Community Of Enthusiasts Informative About Pets. We Hope You Find It Useful.