Skinny dog breeds are very popular among canine lovers. This is because of the abilities and personalities they hold. Therefore, I have researched such a great skinny dog breed for you and made a list out of it. So let’s get started.
Buy, Why is my dog so bony? If your canine is not from the skinny breed list and is still bony, then he may have lessened muscle mass and some health issues.
18 Skinny Dog Breeds you Must Know
- Greyhound is not grey.
- It is a skinny and tall dog with only 13% body fat.
- Moreover, it does not have an undercoat. Therefore, it needs a warm environment to stay.
- Greyhound does not bark much, even at strangers
- It is one of the oldest dog breeds.
- Many people think it is a heavy dog because of its thick coat. However, you will find a slim dog under a thick coat.
- Afghan Hound is mostly used for hunting in Afghanistan’s mountains and deserts where its coat helps it to stay warm
- This breed is highly valued for its ability to hunt and travel long distances. Moreover, it also has a great ability to think and hunt by itself.
- This canine has been popular since the Renaissance with the Italian aristocracy.
- However, there is some evidence that lies in the artwork of the Mediterranean region that tells us the breed’s existence is from more than 2000 years.
- During the 17th century, this dog breed was very popular with the English nobility.
- Moreover, it was also included in toy breeds available and its popularity boosted until Queen Victoria’s reign.
- Kanni Dogs resemble the Greyhound Breed.
- This breed originates in Tamil Nadu, India. Moreover, the breed name indicates the canine’s coat colour.
- Additionally, the name also refers to the high energy level it has.
- Kanni dogs are very easy to train and need a lot of exercises to stay healthy.
- The breed is originally bred for hunting.
- Whippet is a medium-sized British Sighthound doh with a skinny slacker.
- It can run very fast when it wants to. However, Whippet usually spends most of my time napping around the place.
- Also, this breed is recommended as a good apartment dog as it does not bark much and spends maximum time napping.
- A whippet can run 36 mph and easily manage a 200-yard sprint in 12 seconds.
- This is one of the strongest and compact breeds you will see. Moreover, it makes a good guard dog.
- Doberman Pinscher is a caring dog. Therefore, this quality makes it a good family dog as well.
- Sloughis are known for their hunting skills and speed.
- They are originated in Northern Africa
- Moreover, they have fine and short coats that shed much less than any other breed. They only require weekly brushing.
- Also, they do not need much exercise and it is quite common to find them resting at home with their family.
- Pharaoh Hound is a tall and skinny dog that looks like a greyhound except for the upright, large, and angular ears.
- This dog has a crimson coat and big ears that looks very attractive among other dog breeds.
- The dog breed is very athletic and has a lithe physique.
Chinese Crested Dog
- This breed of dog is known for its coat. Some canines are practically hairless.
- The Chinese Crested Dog’s only motive in life is to please its owner till the last breath.
- If you leave the dog alone, it may try to run in fear.
- Vizsla was bred to be hunter dogs in Hungary. However, at present, it is a good and energetic family dog.
- For this breed, you need a big yard where he can get rid of his excessive energy during the day.
- Vizsla has a muscular and strong build.
- It comes in Red, Golden, and Golden rust coat colours.
- It grows as gun dogs in Ireland.
- The Irish setter got famous because of its rich coat and gusto as bird dogs.
- It is bold and has the strength to do well in dog activities and sports.
- This breed of dog is playful, affectionate, and sociable with a high energy level. This resembles a perfect family dog.
- This dog is not a guard dog. However, it is known to protect its owner.
Toy Manchester Terrier
- If you love skinny, small dogs, you can go for the Toy Manchester Terrier.
- This breed is usually happy and healthy, but it may run into serious health issues.
- This is one of the smallest dog breeds that come in tan or black colour.
- It usually weighs between 6 and 8 pounds and is 11 inches in height.
American English Coonhound
- This breed of dog originated in the United States and was bred to hunt foxes and raccoons.
- It is known for its great speed and long-distance running.
- It takes a lot of time and patience to train an American English Coonhound and make sure it becomes a good family pet.
- This is an attractive dog with dark brown eyes, a medium-length coat, an athletic build, and hanging ears.
Peruvian Inca Orchid
- Among the small dogs, this breed of dog is a good cuddle buddy.
- Peruvian Inca Orchid’s bloodline derives from whippets and sighthounds.
- Also, the canine looks the same as both of these dog breeds.
- Previously, this dog was known for passing messages and hunting small animals.
- The flat, long, and webbed feet make them perfect cuddle-buddies
- This dog is skinny and small, still very active and a good watchdog.
- This breed of dog is an active, energetic, and fun-loving dog.
- Rat Terriers love to play. Therefore, it is a great choice if you have children.
- It can get boring if you leave it alone for a long period of time. Hence, it is very important to socialise it and ensure to crate-train it.
- This skinny dog has a different appearance and it is easy to distinguish it from others. It has large and dark eyes.
- Saluki is also known as Gazelle Hound. For thousands of years, it was used for hunting in the deserts of the Middle East and Maghreb.
- Moreover, at present, it is still used for hunting. However, it is also a faithful and agile pet dog.
- Ibizan Hound was initially bred to hunt and you will still see them hunting animals like rabbits in Spain.
- Moreover, this dog breed needs a lot of exercises. Therefore, it is important for you to stay active as well.
- Ibizan Hound is loyal, affectionate, and even-tempered. This makes it a good active dog.
- This breed of dog was initially bred for hunting and coursing in Russia.
- The dog was used to hunt foxes, wolves, and rabbits. After, it became famous for royalty in Europe.
- Borzoi is famous for its calm temperament. However, it can be stubborn sometimes. Therefore, training the dog is the best way to correct its behaviour.
Are some dogs just naturally skinny?
There are many breeds that are naturally skinny. Therefore, if your pooch is one of those, it is very normal if he looks skinny. Some of the naturally skinny dogs include Borzoi, Rat Terrier, Irish Setter, American English Coonhound, Saluki, Vizsla, Chinese Crested Dog, and Peruvian Inca Orchid.
Why is my dog so skinny?
This can be due to any underlying health problems. Being underweight is a signal of health issues. This is especially true if the weight loss is very sudden. there are many health issues that cause weight loss. It includes –
- Tooth pain
- Gastrointestinal discomfort
- Thyroid disease
For Further Reading
- 18 Dog Breeds With Pink Noses
- 20+ Dog Breeds With Black Gums & Black Mouths
- 10+ Dog Breeds Have Hazel Eyes
In conclusion, I would say that skinny health is a plus point for these dogs. It keeps them agile and fast. Therefore, they are good hunting dogs. They love to be active even if they are not on the hunt. Also, they are a great companion for active people. These skinned dogs deserve a lot of love and affection.
I hope you enjoyed the article. I will be back with more informative and interesting pieces of writing. Till then, stay connected. Thank you.
We're an affiliate! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.