King Shepherd vs. German Shepherd: Are you looking to get any of these dogs? Then you must go through this article.
German Shepherds are one of the most popular breeds in the world. However, there are only a few people who know about King Shepherd. The King Shepherds is a crossbreed of the German Shepherd and Shiloh Shepherd or Great Pyrenees. The first King Shepherd was born in 1995.
There are a few similarities between King Shepherd and German Shepherd. However, both the dogs are also different in some sense. Let us see the comparison between the King Shepherd and German Shepherd.
King Shepherd vs. German Shepherd (Breed Comparison)
Here is a table showcasing the basic comparison between King Shepherd and German Shepherd.
|Characteristics||King Shepherd||German Shepherd|
|Male Weight||50 – 63 kg||30 – 40 kg|
|Female Weight||40 – 54 kg||22 – 32 kg|
|Male Height||27 – 32 inches||24 – 26 inches|
|Female height||25 – 30 inches||22 – 24 inches|
|Life Span||10 -11 years||10 -13 years|
|Litter Size||6 – 8||8|
|Appearance||Dark pigmentation||Any pigmentation|
|Hip Angulation||Balanced angulation||More angulation|
|Coat Colour||Bicolor, Black and red, Black and tan, Sable||Bicolor, White or cream, |
Sable, Black and Red, Black
|Other Names||Giant german shepherd, American king shepherd||Schaferhund, Alsatian, Deutscher Schaferhund, Alsatian wolf dog|
|Shedding||Seasonal, constant, heavy||Seasonal, constant, heavy|
|Coat Type||Double coated||Double coated|
|Child Friendly||Yes, very friendly||Yes|
|Cost||$1250 – $3000||$1000 – $4500|
King Shepherd vs German Shepherd: Appearance
- Both the canines look quite similar
- King shepherds are larger than German shepherds
- King shepherds and German shepherds have double coats
- Both the canines have thick and long fur with a bushy tail
German Shepherd vs King Shepherd: Temperament
- King shepherds and German shepherds are protective towards their family
- Both the canines have territorial instinct and natural protectiveness
- In some cases, German Shepherd is more protective
- German shepherds are considered to be aggressive. Therefore, they need positive reinforcement.
- King shepherds are more friendly than German shepherds
- King shepherds need more love and attention
- Talking about energy levels, King shepherds are more energetic than German shepherds
King Shepherd and German Shepherd: Coat
- Both the canines have double coats and the coats look quite similar
- The difference here is that the King shepherd has a shaggier and longer coat than a German shepherd
- This makes the King shepherd look big in physique
- King shepherds and German shepherds have patterns of at least 2 colours.
- Red, black, sable, and brown are the most common colours for both canines.
German Shepherd vs King Shepherd: Energy levels
- Both the breeds are high-energy. However, German shepherds are a step forward.
- Therefore, GSDs need daily exercise.
- German shepherds need at least 2 hours of exercise every day. On the other hand, King shepherds need a minimum of 1 hour exercising every day.
King Shepherd vs German Shepherd: Trainability
- Both breeds are very intelligent
- That is why it’s easy to train them
- In some cases, the dog can be stubborn. Therefore, you may need professional help here
- It is better to train them from an early age.
- When a German shepherd reaches adulthood, it needs more socialisation due to its aloof nature.
German Shepherd vs King Shepherd: Health and Nutrition
- Both canines need high-quality and healthy food.
- However, King shepherds are healthier than German shepherds
- They usually need 1800 – 2500 calories per day. This means that they eat 3 to 4 cups of dry food every day
- German shepherds need 1740 – 2100 calories a day. This means that they eat 2 to 3 cups of dry food every day.
German Shepherd vs King Shepherd: Health concern
- King shepherds are healthier than German shepherds
- Still, they are prone to health issues like hip and elbow dysplasia, bloat, hypothyroidism, Von Willebrand disease, allergies, and eye problems.
- German shepherds are prone to bloat, elbow hygroma, hip and elbow dysplasia, and degenerative myelopathy
King Shepherds and German Shepherds: Origins
- King shepherds are from the United States
- German shepherds are from Germany
GSD vs King Shepherd: Care and grooming
- King shepherds shed more than German shepherds
- Therefore, it is important to brush their coat thrice a week. In the case of German shepherds, they also shed a lot and brushing twice a week is enough for them.
- An occasional bath with a mild shampoo is ok for both breeds. They are odourless and clean dogs.
- Clean the ears every day and check for any pests, dirt, or debris
- King shepherds need to trim their nails once or twice a month
- German shepherds love to chew things. This helps them to clean their teeth naturally. However, you can also use dog toothpaste and brush to clean their teeth. King shepherd need their teeth to be clean 2-3 times a month
King Shepherd vs German Shepherd: Exercise needs
- King shepherds and German shepherds have huge amounts of energy. However, GSD requires more exercise.
- On average, a GSD need at least 2 hours of exercise per day
- King shepherd needs 1 hour of exercise every day
- Both the canines need more than just walks.
- For mental stimulation, you must engage them in herding challenges, dog sports, etc.
- If you fail to give them enough exercise, they can become destructive.
The King Shepherd vs German Shepherd: Space and living requirements
- As both the dogs have thick coats, they need a cool environment
- However, GSDs cannot handle very cold climates, but KIng shepherds do.
- As King shepherds and German shepherds are medium-sized dogs, they need a yard to do various activities to balance out their energy.
- German shepherds can live in an apartment
- King shepherd are not suitable for an apartment due to its smaller space
- If you do live in an apartment, make sure you are exercising regularly.
- If you fail to do that, they can become destructive
Both the canines are amazing in their own way. However, if you want a more protective canine, and you are ready to provide daily exercise, then you must go for a German Shepherd. King shepherds are less wary and do not need very much exercise.
If you are more concerned about health, then you must go for the King shepherd because it is healthier than the German shepherd.
I hope you enjoyed the article. I will be back soon with more interesting and informative pieces of writing. Till then, stay connected. Thank you.
Frequently asked question
Yes, a King shepherd is bigger than a German shepherd. Forever, King shepherd is more heavily muscled than a German shepherd. King shepherds weigh 30 kg to 63 kg (including male and female) and German shepherds weigh 22 kg to 40 kg (including male and female).
King shepherds are protective but they are not aggressive canines. They are very hardworking and loyal companions. Indeed, their appearance and size indicate that they are great predators. But they are not aggressive.
A King Shepherd is between 2 giant breeds. One of the most common pairs of parents is the German Shepherd and the Shiloh Shepherd or Great Pyrenees.
Yes, there are 2 types of German Shepherds. The first type is the Show line and the second one is the Working line. However, there are 5 different types of show-line GSDs you can find in the world.
The Anatolian Shepherd is the largest shepherd dog. It stands 27 – 29 inches in height and weighs 150 pounds. This makes them the largest shepherd dog in the world.
We're an affiliate! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.