Cats are highly self-dependent when it comes to self-cleaning. They will lick themselves and their kittens and maintain their cleanliness. This is why petting a cat is much more convenient and less taking (in terms of responsibilities) than petting a dog. However rare, there are times when even your pet catty requires a nice soapy bath. Maybe after a playdate in mud or after gathering multiple fleas, ticks, and other ticks in her fur.
So, as a pet parent, how do you deal with cleaning your little Kitty during these circumstances? Do you go by the usual pet-safe methods or get carefree and use whatever is available in your bathroom?
A lot of new cat parents often search the internet with queries stating, “Can I Use Dove Soap on My Cat?” Or, more commonly, “Is human bathing soap safe for using on Cats”?While a lot of already cat parents and plenty of internet experts will claim it as safe, we aren’t on the same page. You can’t and must not use any human soap/ shampoo or grooming product on cats. Let’s learn more about it through the guide below:
Which human soap is safe for cats?
So, What human soap can I use on my cat? Since it says ‘Human Soap,’ it in the simplest words means ‘Only for Human.’
Would you like to wash your hair with a pet shampoo? NO, right. And even beyond your preference, it won’t suit your hair or skin by any means. Thus, the same goes vice-versa, and a human soap will never prove safe for use on cats.
Soaps and Shampoos are manufactured, keeping the pH level of the tribe in mind. For example, the Human pH level is 7.35 to 7.45, whereas the cat’s pH level is 6.0 to 6.5. With that, both beings require grooming products that can match and maintain the pH of their skin. Thus, using human soap or shampoo will never prove safe for cats. You might not notice the difference on first use, but slowly their skin and hair will start showing signs of degradation.
Can I use Dove body wash on my cat?
Dove Body wash is a gentle solution when it comes to humans. It has a high moisture content that leaves human skin fresh, soft, and supple after every use. However, using it on cats doesn’t deliver the same results.
The moisturizing content in dove body wash becomes difficult to rinse from cat’s fur. It later creates build-up which can block the pet’s pore and play with its natural skin oil. Thus, using Dove body wash on cats is definitely a big NO-NO.
Is Dove Soap Safe to Use on A Cat?
Even when your Vet believes that Dove Soap is safe for cats, never follow this belief, Dove soap can clean the cat’s fur, but it isn’t very gentle on the cat’s skin. Let’s learn a little more about it through a ‘detailed’ explanation below:
Human skin is highly acidic, and thus soaps for them are curated for balancing out their pH level. And since cat skin is low in Ph dove or any human soap might prove too alkaline or acidic. This mismatch in pH can result in flaky and dry skin and severe skin irritation in the long run.
Besides that, because human and cat bodies function differently, soaps for both have a unique set of ingredients. No matter how mild dove soaps are, they contain harmful chemicals and essential oil. For instance, as per disclosed by DOVE manufacturers themselves, the soap contains chemicals like formaldehyde, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, and more.
However, these chemical components aren’t reactively harmful, but experts claim they are cancer-causing in canines. Certain regions in the world even have imposed a ban on the use of these ingredients.
What To Use When Bathing Your Cat
Can I use dish soap on my cat? Can I use dawn soap on my cat?
Washing and Bathing cats regularly with dish soap isn’t a very great idea. Even though when several animal rescue centers use dawn dish soap for cleaning animals, the idea of using it regularly isn’t likely safe.
Dish soaps, including dawn soap, remove oil from animals affected by environmental pollution and are helpful in de-stinking animals, especially when they are skunked. Its excellent grease and oil removing ability make it a common product in rescue centers.
However, this ability also makes dish soaps not an ideal pick for regular use. Doing so will result in leaving skin less hydrated. It also reduces the skin’s ability to fight infection and allergic reactions.
Can I use safeguard soap for cats?
Safeguard is a human-use soap known for its antibacterial usage. Though since it contains Triclocarban 0.75%, using it on cats can’t be completely marked as safe. Even though this chemical component isn’t very reactive to animals, it is something that still can be ignored.
Can I use toilet soap on my cat?
Toilet soaps are different from bathing soaps and bars. They ideally contain less or almost no active ingredients and are better at cleansing and moisturizing. Toilet soaps are also gentler on the skin when compared to most bathing soaps? So, does that makes toilet soap safe for use on cats?
Absolutely not. Toilet soaps are known for their deep cleaning performance. This property results in leaving skin dry by removing all the oil from the cat’s skin and fur. Using toilet soap will definitely leave your cat’s fur clean but may hamper her skin’s health. Thus, avoid using toilet soaps on cats.
Can I use body wash Or hand wash on my cat?
Body wash and hand wash will clean the cat’s hair but will leave their skin extremely dry and irritating. Body washes with high moisture content can also clog the cat’s skin pore and result in residue build-up in their fur.
Thus, avoid using body wash and hand wash on cats for any purpose. Even if you accidentally or situationally use it once or twice, avoid continuing its use in the long run.
Can I use dial soap on my cat?
The dial is an antibacterial soap you can use for washing/ bathing your cat once or twice. However, using it often or regularly is something we don’t suggest.
Can I use Ivory soap on my cat?
You can use Ivory soap once weekly or once in 10 to 15 days for removing flea from your cat’s coat. Since it is a nontoxic soap, it won’t damage a cat’s skin and fur. However, we do not recommend using it regularly on a daily basis. Also, do rinse your cat thoroughly after using Ivory soap.
Can I use detergent soap on my cat?
Never use detergent soap on your cat, regardless of the needs, circumstances, and reasons. Detergent soaps are extremely harsh and can damage the pH health of both human and pet skin. Thus, it isn’t something you must use on your pet animals.
What can I wash my cat with?
Cats are known for their grooming habit, but pet parents need to groom their kittens once in a while. And for doing that, there are multiple cat soaps, body wash, and shampoos available on the market. Cat cleaning products are formulated to balance cat skin’s pH and match oil production and thus always stick with them.
What can I use to wash my cat if I don’t have cat shampoo?
If not commercial products, you can use DIY Oatmeal Shampoo as a healthy alternative. For preparing that:
- Take one cup of ground oatmeal and 1 tablespoon of baking powder/ soda, along with 4 cups of water.
- Mix all the ingredients well and rub them gently on your cat’s fur and skin.
- Later after 4 to 5 minutes, wash the cat thoroughly.
NOTE: Do not let oatmeal shampoo stay for long on the cat as it might dry and become hard.
4 Best Cat Soap and Shampoos in 2022
Burt’s Bees for Cats with Shea Butter & Honey
- DID YOU KNOW CATS NEED BATHS TOO Even though cats groom themselves, cats should be bathed every 4-6 weeks, or more often for cats that have dermatitis, skin allergies, or who are overweight and cannot reach all parts of their body
- Join the millions of pet parents who can't get enough of Burt's Bees for Pets by using America's pet grooming brand. Try Burt's Bees Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY 99.7% NATURAL INGREDIENTS - This Burt's Bees cat shampoo includes 99.7% natural ingredients like shea butter and honey
- HYPOALLERGENIC SHAMPOO FOR CATS - This kitty shampoo is free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals that irritate sensitive cat skin, making this a great cat shampoo for sensitive skin
- A MUST-HAVE FOR CAT BATHING - Add this shampoo for hypoallergenic cats to your cat supplies kit so that you always have your premium cat shampoo on hand when you need it
(Ideal for cats with dry and sensitive skin. It is made up of natural finest ingredients and leaves no side effects on cat’s skin).
Oatmeal Shampoo – Grooming for Dogs and Cats
- Formulated with Quality Ingredients - Hydrolyzed oat protein, aloe, and chamomile gently cleanse while moisturizing your pet’s fur
- Soothes and Moisturizes - Concentrated botanical formula relieves dryness and itchiness without irritating sensitive skin
- Relaxing Scent - Sweet almond oil conditions fur and leaves a pleasant almond fragrance
- Made in USA - Created from the same all-natural botanical extracts as our Paul Mitchell brand for humans
- Supports Donations for Animal Causes - A portion of proceeds from each sale is donated to animal and wildlife organizations
(It contains natural ingredients like Hydrolyzed oat protein, aloe, and chamomile. The shampoo is ideal for sensitive cats.)
Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor, for Dogs and Cats
- KILLS ADULT FLEAS & FLEA EGGS - Provides flea treatment, killing adult fleas and flea eggs on your dog or cat to prevent reinfestation.
- KILLS TICKS - Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills ticks on contact.
- KILLS LICE - Lice travel on pets, too, and Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills lice on contact.
- SENSITIVE SKIN FORMULA - Formulated with soothing aloe vera, lanolin, coconut extract, and oatmeal makes it paw-fect for pets with sensitive skin.
- CONDITIONS AND RESTORES SHINE - Leaves your pet’s coat soft, shiny, and manageable. And very snuggly.
(It is ideal for cats who often experience flea, ticks, and other pest infections).
Hartz Groomer’s Best Hairball Control Cat Shampoo
- Special conditioning formula aids in reducing hairballs by gently washing away excess, loose hair, making brushing easier
- Includes 15 fluid ounces of fresh scented shampoo
- Contains microbeads infused with conditioners that moisturize for a silky, shiny coat
- Special hairball prevention formula works on cats and kittens of all ages and hair lengths by removing loose locks so they aren’t ingested
- Your favorite feline will achieve a silky and shiny cuddle-worthy coat
(It is best for keeping a cat’s fur soft, ball free, and luscious).
And this was all for washing cats, the use of human soaps, and how safe Dove soap is for cats. We do not recommend using Dove or any human soap on cats with all the research and studies we performed. Instead, go for Cat Shampoo and soaps. Using them will keep your pet’s skin healthy and problem-free. You can find cat shampoo easily in any pet store, departmental store, or even online.
Besides that, avoid bathing your cat frequently. Cat’s saliva contains natural detergent and moisturizer that can keep their skin healthy. These pet animals don’t need bathing and can go without it even for their whole life. However, if it is extremely required, you can bathe your cat once in 2 to 3 months. Doing this frequently will dry out the cat’s skin and might result in excessive hair fall as well.