In today’s article, we will talk about the 6 best dog foods for rats. I know this is quite weird. However, it is true. Before moving toward the dog food list, let us talk about some important things.
Can Rats Eat Dog Food?
Canine food is safe for rats but is not advisable to feed. It does not provide enough dietary benefits to rats. Additionally, vitamin-rich or high-fat canine food may induce some health issues in your rat.
However, you can give a small amount of dog food to the rat. Remember, feeding the rat too much canine food can lead to an upset stomach in rats.
Moreover, canine food is designed for canines only. They have different nutritional needs. For instance, they need high fat and protein content. Therefore, it lacks the ingredients that are beneficial for rats.
In my opinion, high-quality dog food is a better option for your pet rat. However, you must feed it in moderate quantities only.
What Is Dog’s Food Made of?
Dog food is made up of nutrients that a dog requires on a daily basis. These are high in fat and protein and are not that great for rats.
Maximum good quality dog food consists of
- Dehydrated meat
|Grains||Safe||Grains are safe for rats. Also, they form a huge part of their diet. |
However, you must feed grains in moderate amounts.
|Vitamins||Unsafe||Vitamins are good, however, a high amount of vitamins can make your rat sick. |
And dog food contains high vitamins.
|Dehydrated Meat||Unsafe||Dehydrated meat contains high fat and protein. |
And it is bad for your rat’s health.
To add protein, many dog food manufacturers add animal-based products. The commercial food might be perfect for canines but not for rats.
Obesity in Rats
According to academic.oup.com, obesity in rats is increasing excessively. Actually, rats love eating, that’s why they eat everything edible they find. Obesity can lead to various health problems in humans as well as animals.
However, because of a rat’s small size, there is a deposition of fats known as lipomas. Lipomas can affect the rat’s movement.
As much as rats love eating, they also love to be active. Therefore, providing food with some puzzles and letting them run can help you control your rat’s obesity.
6 Best Dog Food For Rats
Holistic Dry Dog Food for Adult & Senior Dogs with Sensitive Stomach
- Fibre-rich probiotics
- Fish based protein
- Balanced whole grains
- Potato free
- Digestible single source of fibre, probiotics, and protein
- Protected probiotics stay alive until consumed
- Rich in nutrients
- This adult dry dog food promotes digestive health while nourishing skin
- A source of prebiotic fiber to support a balanced gut microbiome in your grown dog
- This dog food is formulated to be highly digestible for optimal nutrient absorption & easier stool pick-up
- Packed with vitamin E & Omega-6 fatty acids to help your grown dog get a lustrous coat and healthy skin
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
Natural Balance Dry Dog Food Fixed Ingredient Diet
- Contains brown rice fibre
- Dry food
- Provide essential amino acids
- Single animal protein source
- Limited ingredients
- Helps to keep skin healthy
- LAMB IS THE FIRST INGREDIENT providing essential protein and amino acids to help maintain strong muscles; Brown Rice is included as a healthy and rich source of fiber for digestive health; Contains (1) 26-Pound Bag
- LIMITED INGREDIENT DIET PHILOSOPHY Made with a simple list of premium ingredients; a single animal protein source, healthy grains, and no soy, gluten, artificial colors or flavors; We use fewer ingredients so pets, and pet parents, can live healthy lives
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED FOR LARGE DOGS Made with the same balanced nutritional philosophy, and a larger kibble size, this formula is made to support the heart, bone & teeth, immune system, joint, skin & coat, and digestion health of bigger dogs
- NUTRITION FOR YOUR LARGE BREED DOG Your large breed dog can enjoy our delicious recipes, not just dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies; Our purposefully crafted formulas reduce the number of ingredients without sacrificing taste or nutrition
- SAFETY & TRANSPARENCY Natural Balance's 'Feed with Confidence' program tests every batch of food from start to finish, ensuring safety with every bite; Validate bag on our site or call our Customer Care Team of Registered Veterinary Technicians
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food For Puppy: Chicken Meal & Barley Recipe
- Dry food
- Provides DHA from fish
- Keep brain healthy
- High-quality protein
- Promotes strong teeth and bones
- This dry puppy food uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your small breed dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balance of minerals to promote strong bones and healthy teeth
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Mix up meal time with our convenient, single serve tray Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Savory Stew with Chicken and Vegetables
Natural Choice Lite Dog Food
- Best for less active dogs
- Added minerals, taurine, and vitamins
- Contains chondroitin and glucosamine
- Improves skin health
- Contains one (1) 30 lb bag of Nutro Natural Choice Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe for senior dogs ages 7 and older; real chicken is the ingredient
- Made with non-GMO ingredients; no chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, or soy
- High quality protein source is the ingredient in the delicious dry kibble
- Helps support strong bones and joints with calcium
- Supports your senior dog's aging immune system with essential antioxidants and provides natural fiber for healthy digestion.Cooked in our USA facilities with the finest ingredients from around the world
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Senior Dogs
- Contains vitamin-E and omega-6 fatty acids
- Antioxidants support the immune system
- Supports kidney, bladder, and heart health
- Helps with weak joints through omega-3s
- This dry food is formulated for specific aging needs of your toy or small breed dog
- Easy-to-digest ingredients help support energy levels, and keep a healthy immune system
- Balanced minerals for heart & kidney health
- Small kibble with high-quality protein for lean muscle
- Made with natural ingredients
Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food with Grains
- No meat byproducts, artificial preservatives, and fillers
- High-quality protein with oatmeal
- Supports immune health
- Keep skin healthy
- PROTEIN RICH SMALL BREED ADULT DRY DOG FOOD: Nutritionally dense crunchy kibble with ingredients such as turkey and oatmeal for whole body health
- ALL NATURAL: Created by nutritionists, veterinarians and animal lovers, our recipes provide an ideal balance of nature's finest ingredients, carefully selected to nourish and sustain your dog's wellbeing
- SUPPORTS DIGESTIVE HEALTH & HEALTHY BODY WEIGHT: Supported by antioxidants for strong immune systems, vitamins for healthy eyes and teeth, glucosamine for strong joints, omega fatty acids ensure healthy skin and coat, and taurine for a healthy heart
- NO CORN, WHEAT, OR SOY: Adult small breed dry dog food doesn't contain poultry by-products, wheat, wheat gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors, or preservatives
- MADE IN USA: Using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility. These recipes are crafted with wholesome, non-GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
What Is The Best Food For Rats?
Oxbow Essentials All Natural Adult Rat Food
- Balanced amount of carbohydrates, fats, and protein to provide energy
- Contains probiotics and antioxidants for immune support
- Uniform kibbles mitigate selective feeding
- Secured with minerals and vitamins for good overall health
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS FOR A HEALTHY, ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Balanced protein, fat, and carbohydrates provide energy for daily function and performance
- SUPPORTS IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTH: Made with antioxidants & prebiotics to support the immune system health of your adult rat
- PERFECT FOR PICKY EATERS: Uniform kibble prevents selective feeding
- FORTIFIED FOOD: Fortified with vitamins and minerals for optimum health
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED: Formulated with the guidance of top veterinarians and nutritionists
Kaytee Supreme Mouse And Rat Food
- No artificial flavours or colours
- Natural grains and seeds
- Good quality ingredients
- A diverse blend of ingredients
- Ideally fresh
- Natural seeds and grains
- No artificial colors or flavors
- High quality ingredients
- Naturally preserved for ideal freshness
- A nutritionally complete diet for mice and rats
Supreme Petfoods Science Selective Rat Food
- Rich in natural ingredients
- Zero added sugar
- Promotes healthy coat and skin
- No added colours
- Prevents selective feeding
- A Nutritionally Complete And Balanced Food For Pet Rats
- Helps Sustain Healthy Skin And Coat
- Rich In Natural Ingredients With Zero Added Sugar
- Prevents Selective Feeding
- No Artificial Colors
Mazuri Vegetarian Rat Diet
- No artificial flavours or colours
- No need for added supplements
- A complete nutrition package
- Encourages chewing
- Supports dental health
- Contains dried yucca shidigera extract to help reduce waste odor.
- Large block shape to encourage chewing and help support dental health.
- Nutritionally complete, no supplementation needed.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
What to Feed Your Pet Rat on a Regular Basis
We all know rats are omnivores. This means they can eat meat, fruits, and vegetables. Therefore, the best diet for rats must include all of them. Also, ensure to add a small portion of rat pellets. Moreover, the rat pellets must have 4-5% fats and at least 16% protein for a balanced diet.
A rat’s favourite veggies and fruits include:
- Citrus fruits
- Stone fruits
Unsafe food for rats
- Wild insects
- Sticky foods like peanut butter
- Carbonated beverages
- Sugary foods
- High-fat foods
- Green potato
- Avocado skin
- Avocado pit
- Citrus fruits
- Chlorinated and fluorinated water
- Green bananas
- Blue cheese
- Dried corn
- Dried beans
- Uncooked beans
- Raw sweet potato
- Raw cabbage
- Poppy seeds
- Raw brussel sprouts
- Raw peanuts
In conclusion, I would say that you can feed your rat with dog food, but ensure that you are providing it in moderate amounts. Additionally, keep an eye on the ingredients present in the food. There must be a balance in the food your rat is consuming.
I hope you enjoyed the article. I will be back soon with more interesting and informative pieces of writing. Till then stay connected. Thank you.
Frequently asked questions
Is dog food good for rats?
Pet rats can devour or even digest canine food. However ,it does not offer sufficient dietary variants for them, specifically when included in their food regimen over an extended period of time. High-fat dog foods, or vitamin-rich canine foods, can cause health problems in rats.
Do rats like dry dog food?
Rats are opportunistic feeders. This means that they’ll feed on whatever they encounter. Although leftover dry canine meals does not sound tasty to us, it can still incorporate numerous nutrients and fats that make it impossible to resist for rats.
What protein is best for rats?
You can offer Protein – Meats in small quantities. However, particular attention needs to be paid to meal hygiene. Other protein sources include unsalted, uncooked nuts, insects, flax seeds, lentils, beans, butter beans, chickpeas, and kidney beans are good sources of protein.
How much should I feed my rat a day?
Rats need about 60 calories per day. The equation used to decide the quantity of meals needed being: five to six grams of food per a hundred grams of body weight of the rat per day. Food intake could be between 15 – 20 grams per day for an average rat.
What happens if a rat eats dog food?
Food Contamination: Rats can bring pathogens that may cause illnesses including typhus, plague, rabies, and bacterial food poisoning.
Can you feed rats wet dog food?
Wet canine meals are secure for rats to devour. It is palatable and may not pose a choking hazard. The elements do not include anything dangerous or poisonous to rats. However, they can turn hazardous after a long time.
What does baking soda do to rats?
Baking soda combines with the acids in the stomach to produce carbon dioxide which rats are not able to tolerate. In turn, it builds up inside their system and in the end causes inner blockage and rupture.