Today we will see how to trick your dog into drinking water. This is one of the most serious concerns of a pet owner whose pooch consumes less water. In this article, we will see different tricks that will help you with your concern. But first of all, let us see what will happen if your fido does not drink a sufficient amount of water.
Why drinking water is important?
Every essential physical function is based on water, including handing over oxygen to organs and tissues, digestion, lubricating joints, and regulating body temperature. Water additionally performs an important role in helping a canine’s cells with the absorption of nutrients from the food. Another essential characteristic of water is that it allows your canine to preserve its body temperature, that’s specifically essential in the course of warm summertime.
And just like in humans, dehydration in canines can cause a lack of electrolytes. Minerals like sodium, chloride, and potassium have crucial capabilities in your canine’s body. A lack of electrolytes can affect the body’s pH stability and muscle and nerve function. The most critical instances of dehydration can cause kidney or different organ failure and might even cause death. No person desires this for his or her loved companion.
What are the signs of dehydration in dogs?
Dehydration can cause vomiting. A dehydrated fido can feel ill which causes them to vomit. As vomiting causes to loss of moisture, it can increase dehydration. If the vomiting continues, it is better to take your pooch to the vet as soon as possible.
- Loss of elasticity in the skin
Loss of elasticity in the skin is the most common symptom of dehydration. Pull a small portion of the pooch’s skin and look for it to come back to normal. If the skin goes back slowly, then your pooch is dehydrated.
- Loss of appetite
If your fido is dehydrated, he will lose his appetite. This can become worse in many cases. This is because dehydrated fidos can experience an upset stomach. Ultimately, this will stop them from eating.
- Heavy panting
Dogs use panting to cool down themselves. They also lose some fluid when they’re panting. Hence, when there is warm weather, dogs are more likely to be dehydrated.
- Dry nose
Dogs are acknowledged for their moist little noses. But what happens whilst a canine isn’t receiving sufficient water? Its nostril turns dry. Dogs suffering from dehydration produce much less mucus in their noses due to the fact they lack the right quantity of moisture.
This causes their noses to turn out to be dry and much less effective. Additionally, dogs’ noses get moist after they drink water. So, in case your canine’s nose isn’t moist, it is an indicator that it has not visited its water bowl.
- Dry gums
Dry gums are the indicators of dehydration. This is because your pooch cannot generate saliva because of insufficient moisture in the body. Dry gums become bluish in color, sticky, and produce bad breath. This is the common indicator of extreme dehydration.
It is a sign of extreme dehydration. Your dog tends to lose more moisture and hence its muscles start to stop working. This can even lead to incoordination and dizziness. If your pooch is experiencing some of these symptoms, you must take your furry friend to the vet immediately.
How to trick your dog into drinking water?
Keep multiple water bowls around the house
Dogs might not drink enough water because there is limited access. Hence, keep multiple water bowls to encourage your pooch to drink water. This trick increases the accessibility of water.
Give flavored water
Canines can end up pretty choosy with the water they want to drink. This isn’t troubling however an issue of preference. Since pooches dislike specific tastes, they could refuse to drink water when they do not like the taste.
The answer for that is to offer flavored water to the canine. You can gain this by including flavored ice cubes right into a bowl of water. Adding taste to water, specifically using pleasing flavors such as tuna juice encourages fidos to drink greater water and therefore live a healthy life.
To flavor water, canine owners may additionally use broth. The broth is a sweet-smelling additive giving the water an appealing and inviting smell. Examples of broth are bone broth, chicken broth, and red meat broth.
Feed wet food
When a dog refuses to drink water, the best alternative is to offer him wet foods. You have to take dog food (kibble, cooked, or canned) and add water to it. Leave the food for some time to settle with water and then feed it to your pooch.
Some human beings consider that giving a canine crunchy ingredients aids in cleansing the teeth. However, that is only a myth and must now no longer save you from socking the canine meals in some water. Providing moist foods is an excellent choice for humans struggling to get their canines to drink water.
Use water fountains
Many vets recommend encouraging dogs to drink water through water fountains. These water fountains keep the water fresh. If the water in the bowl is there for long, it starts tasting bad and produces a bad smell.
Dogs will prefer to drink fresh water. Hence water fountains encourage dogs to drink fresh water.
Also, water fountains are playful for dogs. They love to see the water moving up and down.
- 【Reliable EVERSWEET 2S Drinking Fountain】2L/68oz water fountain for cats and small dogs. The circulation system helps provide maximum oxygenation for fresher, better tasting water and entice dogs and cats to drink more water. The pump will shut off automatically, when it senses the lack of water in the fountain bowl
- 【Monitor Your Pet's Water Intake】EVERSWEET 2S includes a water level window and it offers a better view to monitor the overall water consumption of your pet. The LED Light will notice you to add water in time. It is a safe and efficient way to manage pet’s water consumption without constantly watching your pet
- 【Smart LED Indicator Light】Embedded Intelligent LED lights can easily remind you the water dispenser working status. It will indicate water shortage and remind when you need to replace the filter. SMART mode and NORMAL mode are available
- 【Quadruple Filtration System】PETKIT pet fountain is equipped with high performance purifying filter which is composed of a cotton layer, a coconut shell activated carbon and ion exchange resin. The filtration system provides healthy, fresh and oxygen-enriched water for your cats, dogs and small animals
- 【Ultra-Quiet and Auto Power off Pump】The pump is ultra-quiet (measured below 30dB) and has low energy consumption, which gives you and your pets 100% sweet sleep. You can hardly hear the noises.【Note】Eversweet 2S is powered with USB cable(adapter not included), please follow the instruction to use 5V adapter so that the machine can work normally.
- 100oz Large Capacity: If your furry friends dislike their whiskers touching things - a wider bowl will be more comfortable for them. 100oz / 3L is ideal for small to medium dogs, cats, birds and multi-pet households.
- Quality Materials: This automatic pet fountain is BPA free, durable, made of quality materials, easy to operate and clean. Furthermore, there is a transparent window to observe the pet's water consumption. You can choose to turn the LED lights on or off depending on your personal preference for the water bowl.
- Double Deck Pet Fountain: Having trouble getting your cat or dog to drink water out of their existing water bowl? Your pets have a choice of drinking from the upper bowl, lower bowl, or the free-falling stream on the water fountain. The continually flowing water which has a fresh taste entices pets to drink more.
- Triple Filtration System: The pet water fountain is equipped with 3 replacement filters, each composed of activated carbon, ion exchange resin and non-woven fabric to keep this water dispenser pumping clean, fresh water. They form a triple filtration system to dispense clean water and prevent your pets from getting sick.
- Quiet & Energy Saving Pump: The energy saving pump is only about 30 dB during operation, quieter than a whisper, so neither you nor your pets are disturbed by the noise. Also, we added a pre-filter sponge around the pump to better filter impurities and extend pump life, normally lasting between 2.5 - 4 years for this inside cat or dog water fountain.
- CUSTOMIZE WATER FLOW: Adjustable flow control lets you choose how fast the water flows from the stream; turn off the water stream for quieter operation or for the shyest cats
- 2-GALLON WATER CAPACITY: This durable plastic pet fountain is great for big dogs and multi-pet families
- ENCOURAGES HYDRATION: A falling stream of water entices pets to drink more and helps support kidney health in pets through increased hydration
- DID YOU KNOW: Your pet needs 1 oz of water per 1 lb they weigh every day, so a 12 lb cat should drink 12 oz of water each day
- NO THIRSTY PETS: Open bowl-design gives your pet access to water even if the power goes out
Offer the water by bottle or hand
When your pooch is ill, he might feel tired of standup and drinking water by himself. In this scenario, many vets recommend providing them water in your hand. This approach is best when your pooch is ill.
You can also use a water bottle to make him drink water. It is helpful when your fido is ill.
Change water regularly
When water remains in a bowl for too long, it turns warm and foul. Due to the terrible flavor and foul smell, canines would possibly get discouraged from ingesting the water. Therefore water needs to be exchanged frequently to maintain its freshness.
Cooling the water additionally aids in retaining it fresh. It additionally enables you to refresh your dog, in particular after a run or an extended walk. To maintain the water cool, occasionally add numerous ice cubes.
Exercise your fido
Exercises are dehydrating and tiresome. Hence, after a great run or long walk, dogs will automatically drink the water due to thirst.
This is one of the best and most natural ways to make your furry friend drink water.
Keep the bowls clean
Just like us, canines love clean habitats and drinking and feeding bowls. In fact, a few pooches refuse to drink the water due to the fact the bowls are unclean, which makes the water dirty. To keep away from such an occurrence, it’s far recommended that you maintain water bowls clean at all times.
Apart from encouraging the canine to drink water, retaining bowls clean protects them from illnesses and infections. Thus, further to maintaining the water bowls clean make sure that the water supplied is clear.
So, this is it in today’s article. We have compiled eight amazing tricks to make your pooch drink water. Just make sure that you are keeping the water clean to mitigate any possible health issues regarding the bad water.
If you have tried these tricks and your pooch is still not drinking water, it’s better to visit the vet. This could be a sign of something serious like pancreatitis, urinary tract infection, etc.
frequently Asked Questions
Welcome To The Oxford Family! The Website Is Run And Managed By A Community Of Pet Enthusiasts Who Are Informative About Pets. OLHS Was Initially Founded In 1982 As A Community Dedicated To Animal Welfare. We Are Simply Trying To Keep Their Vision Alive.