Being a pet parent isn’t as easy and fun as you thought it would be. You need to be responsible, friendly, funny, adjusting, and sometimes strict. You need to take care of your paw friend, and thus, it is vital to know what they can eat.
Talking about it in-depth, if you don’t know whether your dog can eat Aquaphor or not, this guide is going to give you some fruitful knowledge that you indeed will find worth reading.
So let’s scroll it down.
What is Aquaphor?
Aquaphor is an OTC product mainly used to heal diaper rashes, itchy skin, irritated nasal tissues, and burns on dogs.
This is a non-toxic product for dogs that have been used widely to address such issues.
The product contains ingredients such as ceresin, natural earth wax, glycerin, panthenol, bisabolol, petrolatum, and mineral oils.
These components are used to fasten the process of healing your dog’s skin.
Is it safe for a dog to eat Aquaphor?
No, it is definitely not safe for your dog to consume Aquaphor by eating.
Despite the fact that it is a medicine that is very effective, you should never let your dog consume it as it may cause stomach upset and other digestive issues.
What happens if my dog eats Aquaphor?
Although Aquaphor is an ideal product for pets, it can be harmful if consumed. As mentioned above, the product contains mineral oil and petrolatum that can cause harm to your dog’s digestive system.
It won’t be wrong to say that eating Aquaphor will not cause your dog’s death but can surely leave some temporary harmful impact on his body.
Your dog may experience various health issues such as extreme diarrhea, vomiting, excessive drooling, or even loss of appetite. However, if consumed in a small portion, your dog may get back to normal within a day or two after a vomit.
How to treat excessive diarrhea in dogs?
Eating Aquaphor in large amounts may lead to diarrhea that should be treated immediately. In such cases, you may have to do some modifications to your dog’s diet for a few days.
To treat diarrhea caused by eating Aquaphor, bland diets are essentially important, which are generally low in fiber and fats and easy to digest.
A bland diet is basically feeding lean meat with some boiled white rice to your dog. Some commonly used lean meats are turkey, chicken, and hamburgers.
As it has to be a blend, there should not be any salt or seasoning used. Start giving that to your dog in small portions (preferably 3-4 spoons every 2-3 hours) and see if it works.
Before you start the bland diet for your dog, avoid giving water and food just after vomiting or pooping, and then start giving a small portion of food to your dog slowly. Also, if this does not solve your problem, take advice from your vet.
What to do if my dog eats Aquaphor?
If your dog has eaten Aquaphor and you have absolutely no idea what to do, follow the given steps-
- Check the amount of Aquaphor your dog has eaten. Since it is an ointment, it is easy to figure out how much did he eat. You can surely find some mess around if he has tried eating it.
- Clean your dog’s mouth with a warm cloth and offer him some water to drink. Even if he denies drinking, force him to have some water as it will aid in washing away the taste of it.
- Start feeding him bland food just after you see this happening. Start with cottage cheese or boiled chicken with some rice, and keep the bones or oils away from him.
- You can give him medicines such as Imodium or Pepto-Bismol in its appropriate dosage. Check the labeling given for the same. And if you still have any confusion, consult with your vet.
- Alternatively, you can also offer him some apple cider vinegar along with water. Add two tablespoons of ACV to a cup of water and give it a mix. Give a spoon to your dog every hour.
- If your dog is experiencing vomiting, breathing issues, lethargy and diarrhea consistently, then it could be a case of an emergency where you must call your veterinarian.
What are the signs to look for?
Suppose you are not able to identify whether it is an emergency or not. In that case, you need to see some of the symptoms in your dog, such as the color of the stool.
if it is with blood or tarry if your dog is eating well or has lost his appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, consistent diarrhea for more than 48 hours, or lethargy in your dog. These signs are a red flag and if you witness any of them, take your dog to the vet.
How to stop my dog from eating Aquaphor?
For your dog’s wellness, you might be using Aquaphor lifelong. But you also need to make sure that he should not eat it, and for that, you can refer to the tips that we have mentioned from our own experiences.
- You should keep the medicine away from your dog and ensure that you never leave it at a place where your dog has full access.
- Avoid using Aquaphor too often on your dog and replace it with some healthy and safe moisturizers such as coconut oil or something else.
- Teach your dog that he should not be eating the Aquaphor again, and if he does it again, he will get punished. For that, you can try taking his food for some hours when he does that and offering him treats when he follows your commands.
It was all that one should do when your dog eats Aquaphor. If you have more suggestions related to this topic, feel free to comment and share them with us. We are happy and open to your suggestions.
Welcome To The Oxford Family! The Website Is Run And Managed By A Community Of Enthusiasts Informative About Pets. We Hope You Find It Useful.